Painting a K2 Blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Painting a K2 Blank

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 am

I would like to paint the cross weave portion of my K2 blank pink. I would like the weave pattern to still be visible so I would use a very thin layer. I would then add a thin layer of clear coat to make it pop. I imagine it is possible. Has anyone painted a similar blank?

Thanks
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Painting a K2 Blank

Post by Mattman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Translucent paint, or ink, and automotive clear coat or Spar Urethane. Not a big deal if you're a painter.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Mattman wrote:Translucent paint, or ink, and automotive clear coat or Spar Urethane. Not a big deal if you're a painter.
What brand paint? Also, how would the ink work?

Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:16 pm

ccass wrote:

What brand paint?
I don't really have anything in mind. Its really irrelevant what brand. You want a paint that is a translucent paint to allow the weave to show thru and just add a tint of color. Artists pigments, auto rattle cans, etc. Anything that is not opaque and just adds color.

ccass wrote:

Also, how would the ink work?
Just like translucent paint. Artists inks are very clear and typically of higher quality. Easy on with an airbrush. Its already of a consistency that you don't need to thin it out.

Covering the paint/ink to protect it is really the critical part. That's why the paint is kind of irrelevant. It doesn't have to be durable at all. The clear coat provides the protection and the nice gloss appearance.
Matt Davis

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:58 pm

By translucent paint, you mean a paint for glass or plastic thathe allows the object to still be see through?

I wonder if a paint like that would still allow the black to show through?

I'm wrapping the guides pink.

I'm trying to visualize what the weave pattern would look like if I "stained" it, use regular spray paint or used the translucent stuff.

I have about 4 months to complete the rod so, I have plenty of time.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm

ccass wrote: By translucent paint, you mean a paint for glass or plastic thathe allows the object to still be see through?
I simply mean a paint without opaque pigments.
Matt Davis