Custom BFS rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom BFS rod

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Was wondering if anyone out there has ever had a bait finesse rod built for UL baits. Was checking out this Lamiglas blank:

http://www.mudhole.com/Lamiglas-Ultra-L ... k-XCC900-1

7'6" | 4-10 lb. | Moderate Action | Ultra Light Power | 1-piece | 5.5 Tip | 0.450 Butt | Gloss Black Finish

The blank's specifications have potential to be a perfect bfs build. I am a big fan of the original XMG line, but has anyone used this line? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Custom BFS rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 pm

Would you cut it a bit? It's also a trolling rod so I imagine it is for trolling for salmon.

I use the Phenix Mirage for my true UL BFS setup. It's super capable and fun to use.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:37 am

ccass wrote:Would you cut it a bit? It's also a trolling rod so I imagine it is for trolling for salmon.

I use the Phenix Mirage for my true UL BFS setup. It's super capable and fun to use.
Yes I would cut it. I actually thought about your rod when I typed this. What is the lightest lure you are comfortable casting with it?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 am

zodiak311 wrote:
ccass wrote:Would you cut it a bit? It's also a trolling rod so I imagine it is for trolling for salmon.

Yes I would cut it. I actually thought about your rod when I typed this. What is the lightest lure you are comfortable casting with it?
1/32oz is somewhat difficult. I can cast 1/32oz head with a tiny plastic and be fine. I have the 6'1 Mirage. 1/16oz is very easy with that rod. I use an 16 Aldebaran with a KTF Spool. For line, I've been using 8lb Gliss with good results. I usually roll cast with it with the light stuff so the wind doesn't catch the lure as much. It's a really fun rod. It is parabolic but I have no doubt of it breaking. I've caught some decent bass and a 28in pike with it and not once was I worried. Bluegill are a blast with it. I usually rud micro cranks and tiny jigs. It's not an expensive blank either and it comes in 1 or 2 piece.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:33 am

ccass wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:

1/32oz is somewhat difficult. I can cast 1/32oz head with a tiny plastic and be fine. I have the 6'1 Mirage. 1/16oz is very easy with that rod. I use an 16 Aldebaran with a KTF Spool. For line, I've been using 8lb Gliss with good results. I usually roll cast with it with the light stuff so the wind doesn't catch the lure as much. It's a really fun rod. It is parabolic but I have no doubt of it breaking. I've caught some decent bass and a 28in pike with it and not once was I worried. Bluegill are a blast with it. I usually rud micro cranks and tiny jigs. It's not an expensive blank either and it comes in 1 or 2 piece.
Thanks for the info.
How long is the rear grip from the butt to the foregrip?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:05 am

zodiak311 wrote:
ccass wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:

Thanks for the info.
How long is the rear grip from the butt to the foregrip?
11in

I used the Aero Spinning Reel Seat. It acts kinda like a trigger but isn't a trigger. It's very comfortable.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Bump to hear more options for specs on a bfs build!