need help making rod butt

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

need help making rod butt

Post by mada1594 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:53 am

hi guys I have never done any rod mods or anything like that but I just bought a f4-610xdti elseil megabass rod and the previous owner had the handles swapped out for cork so I am wanting to try to bring it back to where it was before so I am trying to get it back to this http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsupercastfin06.html can anyone give me any suggestions what handles to buy and how to modify the butt to match I was thinking of buying a eva butt and buying a carbon tube and sanding the eva butt down to fit inside the carbon then putting a butt cap on but idk if thatll work so I need some help! thanks!
gone fishin! borderline 11!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: need help making rod butt

Post by Mattman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:43 pm

My opinion... this is a bit ambitious for a first project.

So, you're wanting to go from a full cork to a split EVA grip?

If this project were being presented to me, I'd tell you right up front that this is how I think I can accomplish what you're looking to have done but that I won't know for sure until I take the old grip off and see what's underneath. Especially since the rod has already been modded. I've torn apart enough JDM rods to have a reasonable idea of what's under the grips. But, you never know until you've "got the hood up". To make matters worse, I've got no clue what someone else has done to modify that factory rod. I've seen some pretty horrendous things get done to rods. Also, the Japanese build rods differently than the Americans.

I'd wind up getting woven carbon tube, or other decorative tube and grips and butt from Matagi. The Japanese would usually use a tube to build the rear grip on. Its entirely possible that if that's still there it could be salvaged. Sanded down and refinished. And then install new grips.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 am

Mattman wrote:My opinion... this is a bit ambitious for a first project.

So, you're wanting to go from a full cork to a split EVA grip?

If this project were being presented to me, I'd tell you right up front that this is how I think I can accomplish what you're looking to have done but that I won't know for sure until I take the old grip off and see what's underneath. Especially since the rod has already been modded. I've torn apart enough JDM rods to have a reasonable idea of what's under the grips. But, you never know until you've "got the hood up". To make matters worse, I've got no clue what someone else has done to modify that factory rod. I've seen some pretty horrendous things get done to rods. Also, the Japanese build rods differently than the Americans.

I'd wind up getting woven carbon tube, or other decorative tube and grips and butt from Matagi. The Japanese would usually use a tube to build the rear grip on. Its entirely possible that if that's still there it could be salvaged. Sanded down and refinished. And then install new grips.
no it is split grip already with the butt being a new eva butt and a cork rear grip. I was either thinking about doing the mod or just using black shrink wrap on the cork. I would love to get it back to all eva but I was a little scared to take this on already and now with your comment I am thinking shrink wrap is probably the way to go so I don't end up ruining the rod. Have you used shrink wrap? if so what one do you recommend?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:56 pm

mada1594 wrote:

no it is split grip already with the butt being a new eva butt and a cork rear grip.
That's a big help. If it was full cork, you never know what's going on under there. If its a split grip, and the exposed butt section is still factory finished, you can be reasonably assured that nothing was changed with the exception of the grips. That's a much easier exchange.

mada1594 wrote:
Have you used shrink wrap? if so what one do you recommend?
I have not personally used it. I'm usually custom making grips for rebuilds. There is some stuff out there with light flocking in a large cross hatch pattern. I've heard good about that and I'd be using that if I were doing a project.
Matt Davis

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:59 am

Mattman wrote:
mada1594 wrote:

no it is split grip already with the butt being a new eva butt and a cork rear grip.
That's a big help. If it was full cork, you never know what's going on under there. If its a split grip, and the exposed butt section is still factory finished, you can be reasonably assured that nothing was changed with the exception of the grips. That's a much easier exchange.

mada1594 wrote:
I have not personally used it. I'm usually custom making grips for rebuilds. There is some stuff out there with light flocking in a large cross hatch pattern. I've heard good about that and I'd be using that if I were doing a project.
ok great thank you for the tips I will be making a decision on this soon. If I do decide to switch the grips is mudhole a good site to buy from? it looks like a popular rod making site.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:02 am

Mattman wrote:
mada1594 wrote:

mada1594 wrote:
I looked up the matagi grips and I cant find a good site to purchase from what site would u recommend?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:44 pm

mada1594 wrote:
ok great thank you for the tips I will be making a decision on this soon. If I do decide to switch the grips is mudhole a good site to buy from? it looks like a popular rod making site.
All I will say about Mudhole is that they are indeed a place that you can buy components. You can read the sticky here in the forum for more information about them.

Go to rodbuilding.org and there is a list of vendors down the left hand side of the page. Anglers Workshop. Get Bit. Bingham Enterprises. Swampland. Etc. There are many good suppliers out there.

mada1594 wrote:
I looked up the matagi grips and I cant find a good site to purchase from what site would u recommend?
I'm not sure who the US distributor for Matagi is. I buy direct from them.

Back when another distributor was handling their product, quite poorly I might add, I just went direct. I had a customer order his parts directly from Matagi one time and he had his parts shipped to him in Australia and then he forwarded them to me in the US and they showed up weeks before my order thru the US distributor. I immediately went to Matagi and told them I wouldn't deal with the distributor any longer. And the rest is history.
Matt Davis

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:58 am

Mattman wrote:
mada1594 wrote:
All I will say about Mudhole is that they are indeed a place that you can buy components. You can read the sticky here in the forum for more information about them.

Go to rodbuilding.org and there is a list of vendors down the left hand side of the page. Anglers Workshop. Get Bit. Bingham Enterprises. Swampland. Etc. There are many good suppliers out there.

mada1594 wrote:
I'm not sure who the US distributor for Matagi is. I buy direct from them.

Back when another distributor was handling their product, quite poorly I might add, I just went direct. I had a customer order his parts directly from Matagi one time and he had his parts shipped to him in Australia and then he forwarded them to me in the US and they showed up weeks before my order thru the US distributor. I immediately went to Matagi and told them I wouldn't deal with the distributor any longer. And the rest is history.
ok great thank you for all that information I will check all that out! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out :)