MHX Travel-Blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

MHX Travel-Blanks

Post by -Boris- » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:18 am

Has anybody build up some MHX Travel-Blanks and can write something about the real lureweight?

At least I build up the 844-3 and in my opinion the blank seems to be much sturdier than expected.

MHX has rated the blank with 1/4-3/4oz with a linerating of 10-17lb, but I think that the blank works best round about a full ounce and is a little bit to sturdy for 1/2oz chatter- and spinnerbaits.

Now I consider to build up the 843-3, but I am afraid, that the 843-3 could also be too stiffly, because there is only a little differences between the blankweight (2,45 vs 2,30 oz) and blankdiameter (0,590 vs 0,544 inch).

Therefore my question: Where is the sweet spot of the 843-3 and 842-3? And for which applications are they really good?

Thank you for some tips!

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MHX Travel-Blanks

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:51 am

-Boris- wrote:Has anybody build up some MHX Travel-Blanks and can write something about the real lureweight?

At least I build up the 844-3 and in my opinion the blank seems to be much sturdier than expected.

MHX has rated the blank with 1/4-3/4oz with a linerating of 10-17lb, but I think that the blank works best round about a full ounce and is a little bit to sturdy for 1/2oz chatter- and spinnerbaits.

Now I consider to build up the 843-3, but I am afraid, that the 843-3 could also be too stiffly, because there is only a little differences between the blankweight (2,45 vs 2,30 oz) and blankdiameter (0,590 vs 0,544 inch).

Therefore my question: Where is the sweet spot of the 843-3 and 842-3? And for which applications are they really good?

Thank you for some tips!
Hi!

I've build several MB843-MHX's and SJ842-MHX. Intermediate and High Modulus. 3/4 is way too low for 843. It can handle even 40g. 3 section blank is even stiffier than 1-piece version, because joint.

842 is more like 5/8oz. Very nice for perch and light zander rod as well.

Dont have experience about 3 section rods. I prefer 1 piece blanks.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 am

Okay - thank you!

I have also build up the 844-2 (rated with 3/8-1oz) and it seems to be very similar to the 843-3 - both blanks are more typically 1,5oz-blanks.

As an alternativ: Has anybody experiences with the St.Croix Legend Trek - especially in regard to the real lureweight?
MardukFIN wrote:842 is more like 5/8oz. Very nice for perch and light zander rod as well.
5/8oz would be a little bit to low. I need the best performance round about 3/4oz - for bigger asps.
MardukFIN wrote: I prefer 1 piece blanks.
If A onepiece Blanks would be possible, I would choose a St.Croix blank (SC3 or SC5) - but I desperatly need a threepiece blank.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:08 am

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-S ... lanks.html

The Phenix Redeye blanks are very nice. I highly recommend them. I built on the 7'8" heavy. It is my favorite bottom contact rod for mid-sized to big jigs and Texas rigged worms and creature baits.

DaveJ

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:42 pm

The Phenix Redeye Travel-Blanks seems to be a very interesting alternativ to models of MHX and St.Croix. \:D/

A.Sava has also writen something about the Redeye-blanks - and it sounds really good:
http://asavacustom.com/en/to-travel-bla ... el-series/

Till your post I don't know that lurepartsonline.com also distribute blanks.

Very interesting is, that lurepartsonline has another chart with the diameter and weights of the MHX Travel-Blanks as Mudhole or MHX itself. And the value for the 844-3 declared by lurepartsonline, is the same value I have measered by my blank.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-S ... Blank.html

And at least: How does the Phenix Redeye Travel-Blank works under pressure? Is the blank able to flex progressiv? Or has the blank a very sturdy backbone?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:00 am

The 7'8" Heavy is pretty fast.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4w5r04kyerjj ... 8.jpg?dl=0

I can't speak for the lighter blanks but I bet they have a similar flex profile just less power.

DaveJ

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:09 am

Thank you for the picture!

The Phenix 700MH is currently my favorit.

I think this blank should works good with 3/8-1/2oz chatter-, compact spinnerbaits and 5/8oz swimbaits.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:The Phenix Redeye blanks are very nice. I highly recommend them. I built on the 7'8" heavy. It is my favorite bottom contact rod for mid-sized to big jigs and Texas rigged worms and creature baits.
Hi Dave, what do you think? Where is the sweet point of the 7'8" Heavy? Is the rod rated correctly? Or does it feels more like a typical 1oz-rod?

I ask, because I have heard that the 7' MH seems to be more like a typical 3/4oz-rod.

Thank you for your advice!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:29 am

-Boris- wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:The Phenix Redeye blanks are very nice. I highly recommend them. I built on the 7'8" heavy. It is my favorite bottom contact rod for mid-sized to big jigs and Texas rigged worms and creature baits.
Hi Dave, what do you think? Where is the sweet point of the 7'8" Heavy? Is the rod rated correctly? Or does it feels more like a typical 1oz-rod?

I ask, because I have heard that the 7' MH seems to be more like a typical 3/4oz-rod.

Thank you for your advice!
I've been primarily fishing a 10" worm Texas rigged with a 3/0 EWG and a small lead bullet weight. Total comes to .6 oz. Seems to be perfect for this rod. 1/2 oz should be fine as well on up to 1+ oz.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:53 am

Just finished my build on the MHX 842-3 blank this weekend.

http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-Travel-Rod-Blank-TR842-3-MHX

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Very good sensitivity, super lite, good balance, crisp, very fast action, soft tip. Fantastic for wacky worms and 8-12lb flouro. Handles big bass fine, just don't expect to turn anything over 2lb away from cover or boat flip it. I plan to use it for all of my weightless plastics.

The blank has a very slick flat/raw surface that is tricky to wrap guides on just because the thread wants to slip until you have about 4 rotations completed.

DaveJ

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 am

I am very eagerly to test the 842-3, but have to wait till my rodbuilding-parts-supplier is back from holiday - because he is the only one in Germany who offers ECS reelseats. :crying: ;)

What do you think @Dave: Which is the best lureweight for the 842-3?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:33 am

I would say the 1/8 the 1/2 oz rating is pretty spot on. I wouldn't go higher then that unless you are just easy lob casting, but even then, this isn't the rod for heavier lures. Jerk baits should work well on it too. Lower is possible with panfish jigs but not ideal.

DaveJ

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:10 am

That sounds good! Than I have a good reason to build up the 843-3, too. :lol:

The TFW 841-3 is also rated correctly (up to 1/4oz).

But the 844-3 seems to be much sturdier than expected (1 3/8 oz instead of 3/4oz).