NFC blank help needed

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

NFC blank help needed

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 am

So I am looking to take advantage of the 50% off sale.

What is the difference between SJ and MB blanks. If the ratings are similar, what would I notice?

I am looking for rods with soft tips for easy one handed casting, but backbone to pull big fish from whatever.

Thank you

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NFC blank help needed

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:35 am

Holy cow on the 50% off!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can you be more specific on the blanks you might be after? Lot of variance between same model blank in SM/IM/HM. Here is a web site I found somewhat useful. You will need to translate (google)

http://www.rodhouse.fr/en/119-north-fork-composites

What kind of power are you looking for? How soft of action -

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 am

I am looking at the IM versions. I have an edge rod and the IM is amazing to me.

I really want a 6'10" M fast , 7' MH, 7'1"H set. Looking for tips that are under powered and alloww side arm wrist casting. I like the bend to shut off and hit the backbone roughly 2/3 of the way up the blank.

For instance, the 610M would be 1/8 heads ans 3-4" swimbaits, wacky worms, power drop shot. So a ML tip with solid M backbone.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:33 am

In the IM series here are blanks that would fit from slowest to fastest.
MB 709
MB705
SJ705
SJ706
Most power to least power
MB709
SJ706
SJ705
MB705
The SJ706 is probably the most universal of the bunch. The SJ705 is similar in power but a touch slower in action. I will be having a SJ705 built for small paddle tails. I would go with the MB705 for your medium light, the SJ705 or SJ706 for your medium depending on your preferred taper which sounds like the SJ705 would be more of what your after, and the MB709 for a medium heavy.
If you check out the Web site I provided and click on these blanks you can view pictures of the blanks power curves. If you type the blank model into the search engine tons of threads will pop up including some videos of people fishing these blanks. That way you can get a true idea as to power and taper. I can't find any info on the MB708 which would be a 5th option.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Where is the 50% off sale?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:20 am

Directly from NFC's homepage.

http://www.northforkcomposites.com/

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:11 am

Thanks

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Just tried to order a couple of blanks from NFC. Great prices for the blanks. International shipping kills the deal tho. Wanted about $300 US worth of blanks. Shipping comes to over $600 US. How come I can order from Japan, admittedly closer to my address, and shipping is less than $100 US. Bit of a downer. Had plans for a couple of lovely finesse rods. Oh well back to the drawing board. :(

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Shipping within the U.S. with NFC is no bargain either.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:Just tried to order a couple of blanks from NFC. Great prices for the blanks. International shipping kills the deal tho. Wanted about $300 US worth of blanks. Shipping comes to over $600 US. How come I can order from Japan, admittedly closer to my address, and shipping is less than $100 US. Bit of a downer. Had plans for a couple of lovely finesse rods. Oh well back to the drawing board. :(
Where are you located? If within a couple of hours of the US border, you should look into shipping them to a border address (there are companies that provide US addresses to ship to for a fee) then drive over and pick them up.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:Just tried to order a couple of blanks from NFC. Great prices for the blanks. International shipping kills the deal tho. Wanted about $300 US worth of blanks. Shipping comes to over $600 US. How come I can order from Japan, admittedly closer to my address, and shipping is less than $100 US. Bit of a downer. Had plans for a couple of lovely finesse rods. Oh well back to the drawing board. :(
Where are you located? If within a couple of hours of the US border, you should look into shipping them to a border address (there are companies that provide US addresses to ship to for a fee) then drive over and pick them up.
Believe sorethumb is from Austrailia

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:56 am

igl00jx wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Yep, thanks for the advice, but a very long drive. :lol:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
igl00jx wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Yep, thanks for the advice, but a very long drive. :lol:
Yep, guess that idea won't make the cut... :laugh1: :laugh1:

Et525i
Angler
Angler

Post by Et525i » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:52 am

Put a couple blanks in the cart a few days ago and shipping was $35 put some in last night and it was $18. If you want to get in now's the time.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 am

Vinnie ordered an IM blank for me. 102 bucks total, 17 dollars shipping. I'll take it