rod grip shortening opinions requested...

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

rod grip shortening opinions requested...

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 am

I have shortened several full cork rod grips, but this current rod presents a unique (to me) challenge. I want to shorten the grip of a split grip spinning rod by the length of the butt cork. I'm contemplating cutting the blank where the butt cork begins, sanding the outside of the blank above the cut and the inside of the blank below the cut until the 2" butt section will slip over the blank above the cut. First, do you think I will be able to sand the two ends enough to allow the butt end piece of blank to slip over the remaining blank end. Second, reattaching all of the original weight, will I end up with the same rod balance as before the modification although 2" less length behind the reel? Any and all opinions and other suggestions are eagerly requested!

oe

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: rod grip shortening opinions requested...

Post by Mattman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:37 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote: First, do you think I will be able to sand the two ends enough to allow the butt end piece of blank to slip over the remaining blank end.
I do not think that will work and I wouldn't suggest sanding the blank.

I would use a drill bit to drill out the butt section of the blank a small bit at a time. A tapered point drill bit will remain somewhat centered on the ID of the blank inside the butt grip. Step your drill bit sizes up 1/32" at a time until you have a diameter that slides over your rod blank. I'd even use a counter sink as the very first step to get a nice taper for each drill bit to sit into.

OkobojiEagle wrote: Second, reattaching all of the original weight, will I end up with the same rod balance as before the modification although 2" less length behind the reel?
Your balance will change. The amount of change depends highly on the amount of weight that is shifting.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:20 am

Thank you for your insight Matt. After conversation with others I'm leaning more strongly to leaving the grip length as is and building up the bare rod blank with cork tape, then covering the cork tape with a shrink covering available from Mudhole. This will minimize the balance change and, hopefully, give me a more comfortable grip for my rear hand when casting.

oe

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Ya...there are better solutions than reinstalling the old butt in my opinion.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 am

Mattman wrote:Ya...there are better solutions than reinstalling the old butt in my opinion.
100% agree with Matt.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Mattman wrote:Ya...there are better solutions than reinstalling the old butt in my opinion.

Are you willing to share those solutions?

oe

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 am

OkobojiEagle wrote: Are you willing to share those solutions?

I would be, but without an understanding of where you are trying to get to, its pretty hard to give directions to that destination.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:58 am

I was looking to provide a more natural hand spread when casting, which was about 2" - 3" above the butt cork on bare blank on this particular rod. I didn't like the grip on the bare blank so was contemplating shortening the rod and move the cork butt 2" - 3" closer to the reel stem. After discussion I've re-evaluated the situation and am leaning toward leaving the length as is and covering the blank with cork tape and shrink grip to maintain the rod balance and provide a more comfortable casting grip.

oe

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:20 am

It sounds like you really just want a full grip rod. Your solution should work fine. If you prefer full cork that can be done from the back after stripping off all the existing cork. It will just take a little extra epoxy to full in the larger ream, which unless the rod is tip light is usually a good thing.

DaveJ

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:23 pm

I agree with IlliniDawg01…it sounds like you want a full grip.

The subject of “rod grip shortening opinions requested” leads some, myself included, down a path that I don’t think you were really intending to go.  I felt your goal was to shorten your rod grip.  In reality, your goal is for a more ergonomic grip for yourself.

If I were doing this for a customer, I’d recommend a whole new rear grip.  I’d remove the current grips, clean up the blank, make a brand new grip to fit the blank, and install the grip from the reel seat back to the butt.  Its is going to be the most pleasing to the eye solution and the most sound solution.

Depending on how much of a split there is in the current grip, and what is placed in that split section in regards to hook keepers or graphics, etc, another option would be to create a longer butt grip and install that in place of what is currently on the rod.  This is going to be a sound solution.  Depending on what’s visible in the split, maybe not the most eye pleasing solution.  But still pretty good.

Personally, I’m not a fan of building up a grip with tape.  Even cork tape.  Cork tape is meant to be in one layer, not stacked on top of itself.  It isn’t very stable when stacked.  I’d rather find something else to do a build up with.  Cork rings for instance.  Those could be reamed to fit the blank, split in half, and then installed on the blank to get your diameter out to what the butt grip is.  Then you could cover it all with the shrink tube.  Rigid foam, like what is used for reel seat arbors, could also serve as your build up.  A premade EVA butt grip could be reamed to fit the blank, slit along its length, opened up and then installed on the blank ahead of the current butt grip.  And covered with shrink tube.

My opinion…if you’re going to all this work anyway…it isn’t that much more work to just get a new full rear grip.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am

Mattman wrote:The subject of “rod grip shortening opinions requested” leads some, myself included, down a path that I don’t think you were really intending to go.  I felt your goal was to shorten your rod grip.  In reality, your goal is for a more ergonomic grip for yourself.

My original thought was as presented, to "accordian" the butt of the rod 2"/3" up the rod. The purpose of this was to provide a butt position I was more comfortable with without changing the weight and negatively affecting the rod balance. The shortcomings for my plan were quickly highlighted and I expanded the possible parameters. Adding a more comfortable surface to the bare blank appears to be an easier solution without changing the rod balance. "Covering" the bare blank with a cork tape is more accurate than "building up" the blank as I only intend to apply one layer of cork. If I don't find that satisfactory I may add a shrink material over the cork. This plan doesn't involve me permanently ruining the rod if I'm not successful. Adding a foam piece in front of the butt cork then covering with shrink material sounds like a good plan as well and I'll keep it as a second option. Thanks for your ideas.

oe