Rda numbers confusing this guy

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rda numbers confusing this guy

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:53 am

So I'm looking for a blank to throw 4 and 5 inch Keitech paddle tails on, coupled with jig heads no heavier than a quarter ounce. Sifting through all the Rda related posts on here I found some numbers. It should be noted that I had an Mhx high mod sj843 and it was too much blank for me. I actually found the numbers here and it has 547 grams of power.
Ill be using this rod in open water with rocky terrain for smallmouth. Here are a few blanks that have my attention. Keep in mind that 547 grams was too much power for this technique for me personally.
Phenix Umbx 700mlB - 473 grams of power
Point blank 701mhf - 525 grams of power
As you can see, the difference in power between the Mhx and Point Blank is only 22 grams, so I'm worried it will still be too much rod. The difference between the Mhx and Phenix is 74 grams, however I have no idea what 74 grams of power translates into in real time.
What's more confusing is the Phenix is rated a ML, the Mhx a medium, and the Point Blank a MH. I know seasoned builders say Rda before given ratings and I believe that, but none the less it makes finding the right blank difficult.
I also found numbers for a MH Phenix m1, 441 grams of power. So that's even less than the ml Umbx.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Umbx, but I hope it has enough power to get solid hook sets.
Then the medium 7 ft point blank has 460 grams of power. Yeah, I could use some help. Even though the Mhx high mod was powerful, I also have a 2 power SJ and it's not enough rod to get consistently good hook ups. No idea what the power on that one is. Yep, I need help :lol:

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rda numbers confusing this guy

Post by Angler JO » Tue May 17, 2016 3:25 am

I think you're looking at one piece of the puzzle. RDA is a good number to have but what about Action Angle (the number not the rating), lure weight range, stiffness to weight ratios, and bend characteristics (where the power is, or starts). It's conceivable to have two blanks 74 grams apart that performed almost alike when you add all the extra pieces of the puzzle. There are plenty of guys here who can help, they'll be along in a minute.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Angler JO wrote:I think you're looking at one piece of the puzzle. RDA is a good number to have but what about Action Angle (the number not the rating), lure weight range, stiffness to weight ratios, and bend characteristics (where the power is, or starts). It's conceivable to have two blanks 74 grams apart that performed almost alike when you add all the extra pieces of the puzzle. There are plenty of guys here who can help, they'll be along in a minute.
Happy to see you're still floating around this forum from time to time. I totally understand what you're saying. I just want to make sure I don't get a blank with a lot more power than I like/need. I think the best way to choose a blank is search threads and talk with members who have actual experience with them. And through doing such I've decided on the Point Blank 701MHF :big grin: . Time to pick some parts and get this baby started soon! The only other high end blank I've had built is a Phenix K2, so I'm really looking forward to this build.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Angler JO wrote:I think you're looking at one piece of the puzzle. RDA is a good number to have but what about Action Angle (the number not the rating), lure weight range, stiffness to weight ratios, and bend characteristics (where the power is, or starts). It's conceivable to have two blanks 74 grams apart that performed almost alike when you add all the extra pieces of the puzzle. There are plenty of guys here who can help, they'll be along in a minute.
Hey also I forgot to ask. I read somewhere that you were adding an image library to the web site of each blank under load. Is this still in the works? It would be most helpful for a knucklehead such as myself.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue May 17, 2016 11:25 pm

Good blank choice Hog. Send me an email and I'll save a jpg that will show the bend of the blank you chose. Not on the web yet. The 701MH is pretty stout, some have described the PB as a tip capable of throwing small lures with workhouse power behind it in the lower section. I would agree with that summary. Makes me wonder if the 701M might be better. Do you have an idea of the total weight of the lure? I'm thinking 1/2oz with grub attached?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Angler JO wrote:Good blank choice Hog. Send me an email and I'll save a jpg that will show the bend of the blank you chose. Not on the web yet. The 701MH is pretty stout, some have described the PB as a tip capable of throwing small lures with workhouse power behind it in the lower section. I would agree with that summary. Makes me wonder if the 701M might be better. Do you have an idea of the total weight of the lure? I'm thinking 1/2oz with grub attached?
I'll be throwing 3/16 oz swimbait heads and 4" Keitech easy shiners primarily. Quarter ounce at most, so total weight all together maybe 7/16 at most. Primarily rocky terrain open water fishing for smallmouth up to 5 lbs. If you think the medium may be better please let me know. Could you send me a picture of both these blanks? Do you want a PM via Tackletour, or a different email address?
I was also looking at the 7'3 medium light. Power wise it slots right between the medium and medium heavy 7 footers. Plus I like a little slower rod for help with keeping the fish buttoned up. I'm just a fan of slower tapers. This was actually my 1st choice of blanks. I'll take your word for which of the 3 you think would be best. Much appreciated!!

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Most of my fishing is in similar waters with similar techniques, just replace light rocky terrain with very light grass cover, and the possibility for much larger and stronger bycatch since I am in saltwater.

I don't have experience with the specific blanks in question, but my preference by far is medium power, fast action. Fished a Fenwick Techna AV M/F 7' from 2004-2010, Cumara 7'2" M/F from 2010-2016, and now I'm using an NRX 842c. I tried a number of rods before settling on the Cumara, and quite a few more before pulling the trigger on the NRX. Coming from experience, a true MH works fine but is often overkill. My target fish is the only one that uses the light structure to its advantage, and some situational awareness is more than enough to keep them under control with a Medium power rod. Again, speaking from experience, ML with a slightly slower action, left me feeling undergunned. First of all, I just felt like the rod loaded just a bit too slowly on the hookset for a single hook. Additionally, although it was often more fun to play with the fish, larger or more aggressive models just seemed to have a bit too much control over where they went. Light rock is different than light grass, so for you it might work better, but I've found the true M/F to really work the best for me between how it loads on a cast, when I get bit, and on the hookset.

With all that said and JO Angler's description of the 701MH as "pretty stout", I would definitely lean toward the 701M instead, because it sounds like "pretty stout" is not what you're looking for.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu May 19, 2016 8:37 pm

74 grams is about a 14% change in power which roughly is about a half a power for most rod companies. (North Fork MB's have a really tight window between powers however)

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu May 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Hog, ain't nothing moderate about any POINT Blank. I certainly don't want to scare away a customer but I think Matt would agree with what I'm saying. I don't want you to expect a nice deep, smooth bend and then discover that POINT Blank is a Ferrari in the top half and a 4X4 in the butt. The numbers may match up but the bend may be quite different than you're used to. Work at the top end of the lure weight range for your first POINT Blank build (not recommending you go way over, or course). It will smooth your transition into a whole new world.

All that said the PB731MLF has almost bumped the M for my personal #1. I like the range. It's fun on a 16-inch speckled trout and even more fun on a 30-inch redfish. Casts the lures for both and has the power for both. Also currently building 8 rods for our B.A.S.S. ELITE Pro - all PB731M and MH.

Hope this helps.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:14 am

Well I wasn't saying moderate, just prefer a slower fast. Most of your blanks are a little fast for my tastes. With the 7'3 ml I'd also be taking 5 inches off the butt. At this point I'm pretty set on the NFC IM SJ705, possibly the 706. Both these rods are slower, the 705 even more so, and have the power range I'm after. Nothings set in stone just yet. Just want to get the right blank for the task, as well as meet my preference.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Didn't mean to leave you hangin' Hog. Been in LA previewing FUJI's new stuff for ICAST in July...some eye opening stuff I can't talk about. :shock:

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:08 am

For future reference here is the bend of the PB701MHF with 525 grams of weight hanging off the tip. The yellow tip is the production blank, the red tip is a "control". You can see from the bend that the casting load is pretty precise, occurring mainly in the tip section (for the lower part of the lure range). As lure weight increases, of course, it bends deeper but there is a huge amount of power starting to kick in at around the mid-blank point. The lower third is a real winch.

(Never posted an image, if this doesn't show in the post I will follow up with a link.)

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:09 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ydywr0h359fd ... F.jpg?dl=0

hmmm....guess I don't see how to post an image...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Angler JO wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ydywr0h359fd ... F.jpg?dl=0

hmmm....guess I don't see how to post an image...
Thanks Jim. I believe this blank will have more speed and power than I desire. I think the medium would serve me better. Just wish it was a little slower. I'd also be taking 2 inches off the blank, but I don't think that's gonna change much.
The 7'3 ml would be the only blank I think might work for me. However I'd be taking 5 inches off of this one. The 7'3 ml states a little more power than the 7 ft medium with a higher lure rating, yet the line ratings are slightly lower. Would you use this blank to throw quarter to half ounce swimbaits in open water? I'd be using 13 lb Sunline Defier mono.

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:27 pm

I'd probably drop down to the PB691MXF, 440 power. It will handle 1/2 oz.