Blank recommendation

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Blank recommendation

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:00 am

I'm looking for a blank to use with 4/5 inch paddle tails, swimbait jig heads no heavier than a quarter ounce. Currently I'm using a Rainshadow Rx8 844 popping blank. I really like it and it handles these baits well. While it's not the most sensitive blank in the world, it's sensitive enough. With that said, I'd like something more sensitive. So I'm after a higher end blank. I want something that is a slowish fast, a little faster than my popping blank. I need it to have enough power for good hook sets. Rod will be used in mostly open water along rocky terrain for smallmouth.
So far I'm interested in the NFC IM Mb705. I believe these blanks are a little slower than the typical fast, but I'm not certain. I'd be open to St Croix options, though the rods I've fished are all a little fast for my taste, as well as any Point Blank options. Also wondering if the NFC IM SJ705 would have adequate power, and if it would be slower or faster than the mag bass. Also interested in the Phenix Umbx line, but again I think they may be too fast for me and not sure if it would be an upgrade in terms of sensitivity. I already have a K2 and love it.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Blank recommendation

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun May 15, 2016 5:07 am

The MHX fast is slightly less fast than a St Croix fast usually in my experience, so might be another option?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:The MHX fast is slightly less fast than a St Croix fast usually in my experience, so might be another option?
Mhx high mod are good blanks, however I'm looking for something a little more responsive.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 am

I have a Point Blank PB691 MXF. I use it for 1/8 to 3/8 jigheads and texas rigs. Super light, and super sensitive. The action might be a hair faster than what you want, but I have really been impressed with mine.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:51 pm

stevenhatchy wrote:I have a Point Blank PB691 MXF. I use it for 1/8 to 3/8 jigheads and texas rigs. Super light, and super sensitive. The action might be a hair faster than what you want, but I have really been impressed with mine.
Is that the rod you're using in the YouTube video you posted? Looks like your bank fishing a pond in the video. If so, I really like the taper on that stick under load.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Rogue bb796 should be perfect.that is a blank I could not live without.it is 7ft9- but you could cut it down if you see fit.i would call it parabolic with a fast tip if that makes sense.it is lightweight,sensitive and loads up well.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Wed May 18, 2016 1:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
stevenhatchy wrote:I have a Point Blank PB691 MXF. I use it for 1/8 to 3/8 jigheads and texas rigs. Super light, and super sensitive. The action might be a hair faster than what you want, but I have really been impressed with mine.
Is that the rod you're using in the YouTube video you posted? Looks like your bank fishing a pond in the video. If so, I really like the taper on that stick under load.
That's the one! The more I've used it, the more I like it. Made a trip to the gulf in April and caught speckled trout and flounder on that rod and loved it.