Rod Blank Selection

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Rod Blank Selection

Post by Brams » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Hey guys, first post on here. I’m a saltwater fisherman from Sydney, Australia, looking to build a few top shelf custom rods. Back home our custom rod building scene is pretty small, and the number of blanks available is incredibly limited so I won’t be able to check them out in the flesh. I’m looking to make a few rods to suit a c2000hgs, a 2500s and a 4000xg Stella (FE models).

Rod 1: Bit of a strange one, I’m looking for a 7’6 rod for launching 1/4 oz metal lures (http://www.yamaria.co.jp/english/maria/ ... gs/mucho_l the 35 mm 7 g version) as well as heavy sinking aji hardbodies (http://anglermania.com/duo,tetra%20work ... vy,sinking). I think an extra fast action would suit with a light tip to throw the lures and a heavier back bone to fight the fish. This is for casting at 2-3 lb micro tuna that we get in plagues every year and matched with the c2000hgs. The fish hook themselves. Ive been looking at the st croix 4/5s 76mlxf-2 but have heard that the paint peels off and that they are not straight (heard from matagi). It’d be difficult to get a replacement in either of these situations. Other options include the Phenix iron feather 792-2 or the NFC SJ 762-2 but only if its cast weight is not as stated (1/8-3/16) but the same as the one piece rod (1/8-3/8). Would love to hear other suggestion or reviews of said blanks.

Rod 2: Whichever blank is the closest 2 piece match to the classic DSR 8200s GLX would suit very well. As before I don’t want any paint chips or bent blanks. It'll be matched to the 2500s, fishing for bream, mostly with soft plastics. A cast weight as low as 1/16 would be great.

Rod 3: Throwing 15-50 g (1/2 - 2 oz) lures off the rocks and jettys such as 4-5 inch topwater and minnow lures, 25 g metal jigs and 8 inch plastics, I had the NFC HS 883 in mind, however I don’t quite understand how the hot shot blank would go at casting for max distance. This rod is for yellowtail kingfish (amberjack) and other similar sized and fighting fish, up to approximately 6 kg.

All rods will be paired with tisic for rod 2 or ti torzite guides for 1 and 3 so I want to do them right and only once!
Last edited by Brams on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Blank Selection

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:05 pm

All rod blanks are quite likely to have a slight bend in them. Custom builders often put the guides on the outside of the bend and that straightens the blank quite often. I had paint flaking on an early Blue/green flip SCV blank, which was annoying, but the forest green and blue blanks have been fine. I wish St Croix wouldn't paint the rods though really!

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks for the response mate, I know all blanks will have a slight kink in them. However, a few months ago I asked matagi why he stocked all St Croix blanks except the MLXF-2 blanks, and he said something along the lines of: we have bought some blanks with
numbers including "MLXF" and they were all curved at tip part and we could not use them at all. If you accept curved tip, I will be able to buy them for you. I know blanks are never straight but MLXF blanks which I bought were much worse than that.

I'm just looking to avoid this sort of situation or a paint peeling one! And hopefully get recommended some gem blanks..

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:30 am

I'll just tell ya, the limited selection of mid to high end 2 piece blanks sucks aside from some St Croix offerings.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:42 am

Brams wrote:Thanks for the response mate, I know all blanks will have a slight kink in them. However, a few months ago I asked matagi why he stocked all St Croix blanks except the MLXF-2 blanks, and he said something along the lines of: we have bought some blanks with
numbers including "MLXF" and they were all curved at tip part and we could not use them at all. If you accept curved tip, I will be able to buy them for you. I know blanks are never straight but MLXF blanks which I bought were much worse than that.

I'm just looking to avoid this sort of situation or a paint peeling one! And hopefully get recommended some gem blanks..
Sounds strange, but no reason to doubt you. I have the SC111 version of that blank and it doesn't appear to have any unusual set to it.

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:42 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I'll just tell ya, the limited selection of mid to high end 2 piece blanks sucks aside from some St Croix offerings.
I know the 1 piece are much better, however it increases the postage price tenfold, might have to go down the St Croix route.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 am

Brams wrote:

I know the 1 piece are much better

I don't believe that anyone but the most astute angler, if blindfolded, could tell the difference between identical builds on 1-piece and 2-piece blanks. Today's ferrule technology is so much better than 20 years ago.

I prefer 1-piece blanks but I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2-piece blank if the specs were ideal.

Don't not consider 2-piece blanks if you have a legit reason (and you do) for using them.

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:53 am

You're definitely right! Its finding the blank with the right specs thats the problem for me. Theres a lot more selection and variety in the one piece blanks though, which would both help and hinder selection

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Any ideas guys? I'm leaning to the iron feather, anyone had a good experience with them?

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 am

Brams wrote:Any ideas guys? I'm leaning to the iron feather, anyone had a good experience with them?
Iron feathers are quite different due to the soft tip. Read TT's review. They'll work for what you say, but to me are limited to what they can do because of the tip. I'd go as low as 1/32oz on mine. It's my dedicated mini jig / crappie rod. Oh and I have the 2-piece 7'9". Keep in mind that because of the small tip, Phenix ships these with a TiSic tip. Very very thin tip.

Overall, it's a very nice rod. Quite sensitive too. Mentioning this because TT's review doesn't.

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 pm

ogrich31 wrote:
Brams wrote:Any ideas guys? I'm leaning to the iron feather, anyone had a good experience with them?
Iron feathers are quite different due to the soft tip. Read TT's review. They'll work for what you say, but to me are limited to what they can do because of the tip. I'd go as low as 1/32oz on mine. It's my dedicated mini jig / crappie rod. Oh and I have the 2-piece 7'9". Keep in mind that because of the small tip, Phenix ships these with a TiSic tip. Very very thin tip.

Overall, it's a very nice rod. Quite sensitive too. Mentioning this because TT's review doesn't.

Is the tip fragile enough on that 7'9 that I'll snap it on a hard cast, this rod is for max distance... Sounds like I may have to give it a miss.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 am

No, the tip will not break on a hard cast. I've used up to 1/4oz on mine, but that is a bit on the heavy side for what I use this rod for.

Brams
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Brams » Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 am

ogrich31 wrote:No, the tip will not break on a hard cast. I've used up to 1/4oz on mine, but that is a bit on the heavy side for what I use this rod for.
Yeah I'm looking to cast 1/4 oz as far as possible, so that is good to hear.. It is rated much higher though so I'd hoped it'd be able to do that without a sweat

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Mattman wrote:
Brams wrote:

I know the 1 piece are much better

I don't believe that anyone but the most astute angler, if blindfolded, could tell the difference between identical builds on 1-piece and 2-piece blanks. Today's ferrule technology is so much better than 20 years ago.

I prefer 1-piece blanks but I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2-piece blank if the specs were ideal.

Don't not consider 2-piece blanks if you have a legit reason (and you do) for using them.
This is very true. There is a reason fly rods come in 4 pieces these days! And still cost a ton. Technology has advanced