Need help for butt cap repair

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
blackcore
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need help for butt cap repair

Post by blackcore » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:15 pm

gave the rod to my friend for a fishing trip and it came back with a broken butt ](*,) ](*,) :crying: :crying: Need some help to repair the cap, i have no exprience fixing rods. Do i only need to use epoxy? Any help would be appriciated [-o< [-o< [-o<

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Need help for butt cap repair

Post by Mattman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:58 pm

I'd clean that up with an X-Acto knife and a small stick of some sort with sandpaper double back taped to it to get rid of any old chunks of epoxy. Get the joint fitting really nice. Depending on how much room is left in the butt, I might take a really short chunk of rod blank and make a little splint that can get glued into the cap and would fit inside the rod blank for a little extra stability. Finally, I'd epoxy that back on the rod. I'd use masking tape to hold it in place. I'd lay a piece across the butt, put the butt on the handle, then pull that tape up tight towards the reel seat on each side of the rod. And add a second piece at 90° for good measure.

blackcore
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need help for butt cap repair

Post by blackcore » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Great help! Thanks MATT =D> =D>