What to do with broke MB rode?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What to do with broke MB rode?

Post by Misfit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:46 am

First I should say I know nothing about rod building or custom rods. I have a Megabass Destroyer X7 F5st-611X7 that after only a few uses snapped. Replacing the rod through japan was going to cost me almost as much as i paid for it so it's been sitting for almost a year now.

So with zero knowledge about this kind of thing, what are my options? All the components are mint. Can you put all them on a new blank? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What to do with broke MB rode?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:11 am

NOOOO!!!! It's up to you, but stripping components takes time, or money, probably not worth the effort. Wouldn't be for me anyway. Can I ask how this happened? The placement of that break has me baffled.

Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Misfit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:20 am

I was popping a baby brush hog out of a rock in a few foot of water. No more pressure on the rod than maybe a 3 lb bass... Ruined my day for sure. This rod does have the stinger tip so not sure if that added to the placement of the break.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 am

Get a replacement from Megabass USA! Did you contact them? How long is a warranty for those rods? This is a warranty case.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:14 am

I can't tell from the pics, how far is this from the tip? The way it broke right at the guide and square makes me think the blank got damaged during assembly somehow.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:09 pm

I'd, get with a custom rod builder and have it converted to a two piece rod. Not the optimum place for a two piece connection, but when you think of travel rods that are three and four pieces, an external ferrule done properly would be practical and allow you to use the rod.

Drop Matt (Otterrods) and PM and get his opinion. I've had him do a repair similar to yours and it worked out nicely.

Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Misfit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:29 pm

smalliesteve wrote:I can't tell from the pics, how far is this from the tip? The way it broke right at the guide and square makes me think the blank got damaged during assembly somehow.
Open the pic in a new window to see the full image. http://randysmithdesign.com/fishing/brokeMB.jpg

Misfit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Misfit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Cracker wrote:Get a replacement from Megabass USA! Did you contact them? How long is a warranty for those rods? This is a warranty case.
Warranty on a rod bought from Japan is sketchy. I contacted them and the price of a warranty replacement was about 75% as much as I paid for the rod. Wasn't worth it in my opinion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:49 am

That rod is basically the same as an ugly stick lol. It has a solid tip fitted down into the blank and epoxied to the main blank and it broke clean right at the end of the solid tip. I have seen that happen before on a Bearing Down and I have also seen the same rod have that tip section break free and spin inside the main blank. Not good! Sorry to see your rod broken, but warranty only applies if you bought it here from an authorized MB retailer.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:42 am

That is rather odd spot for a break, but understandable given the abrupt transition from solid to hollow blank.

I'd still contact MB America and explain the situation. They may meet you halfway as a goodwill gesture, who knows ? The worst they can tell you is no.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sun May 15, 2016 7:11 am

I heard MB warranty is a "grey area", many ppl buying MB like crazy, just like they thought breaking is never gonna happen, I know there is a dealer in Canada.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:50 pm

That is a bummer! Unfortunate to hear about the warranty options

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Does this ring true for their reel warranties also?