The Force of "The One" Awakens

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Force of "The One" Awakens

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:23 pm

bigbaitfishing wrote:
jimmyb wrote:nice! I applaud your minimalist approach as well

I try to build "blingless". Black wraps, simple handles, least weight and all performance
=D> =D> =D> =D> that's my style also !!!
Agreed. I like all the fancy stuff to be south of the reel seat or maybe on the fore nut.

DaveJ

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:22 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
bigbaitfishing wrote:
jimmyb wrote:nice! I applaud your minimalist approach as well

I try to build "blingless". Black wraps, simple handles, least weight and all performance
=D> =D> =D> =D> that's my style also !!!
Agreed. I like all the fancy stuff to be south of the reel seat or maybe on the fore nut.

DaveJ
i skip all the '' fancy stuff '' , just minimal rear grip , tear drop style butt , one color thread wraps that blend with the natural graphite of the blank ( if it's painted or cleared , that comes off with Citra-strip ) , & black micro guides ( all my rods )

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:42 am

If you guys like minimalistic, then you might like my latest custom. It is a Phenx K2 715C with a PTS seat and standard nut. I like the Matagi foregrip parts on the Pointblank, but it is a little large in diameter. The standard nut on the PTS is smaller and more comfortable for my medium hands. Also, the standard nut seems to hold well. I wouldn't bother with the lock nut that they sell. The transition where the nut meets the reel seat is smooth and comfortable. I didn't even use a Matagi balancer butt because I am using the K2 for tip down baits. It is nice and light.
The only issue that I have with the K2 715C is that it is on the slow side of fast. I prefer a faster blank. It's being used for swinging jigheads right now. I broke in the rod at Clearlake last month. My second fish was 6.4 and I horsed it on 20lb. fluoro to see if the K2's reputation for being brittle was true. No issues so far! :) It is sensitive.
Attachments
Phenix K2 715.JPG
Phenix K2 715.JPG (39.24 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:53 am

Very nice build, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 715. Have a 714 built up and love it. Sensitivity on those things is crazy.

Also finally getting spooled up on my PB build. Ended up exchanging the 731HF for a 761MHXF the HF just felt too stiff for what I want it for. Blank's been sitting on my rack for about 6 months now, I have all the guides, I just need to order my seat and trim from Matagi. Just lost sight of it this year, but I'm off work on short term disability now and have some time to putter around the house (not healthy enough to fish yet though :x ). Going to get'er done soon. :D

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:01 pm

smalliesteve wrote:Very nice build, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a 715. Have a 714 built up and love it. Sensitivity on those things is crazy.

Also finally getting spooled up on my PB build. Ended up exchanging the 731HF for a 761MHXF the HF just felt too stiff for what I want it for. Blank's been sitting on my rack for about 6 months now, I have all the guides, I just need to order my seat and trim from Matagi. Just lost sight of it this year, but I'm off work on short term disability now and have some time to putter around the house (not healthy enough to fish yet though :x ). Going to get'er done soon. :D
I've got a few Matagi foregrip parts and a butt balancer that I want to get rid of. Let me know if you are interested.