The Force of "The One" Awakens

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Force of "The One" Awakens

Post by toddmc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:55 am

I've been struggling to make a decision to replace my old IMX 843 and 844 casting rod builds for the last two years. They were "The One" all-around rods that always seemed to be on the deck of my boat for the last decade even though I have just about every application rod covered. We know that blanks have come a long way since the IMX hit the market.
My first attempt to replace these rods is the Point Blank 701MHF. The build includes a Fuji PTS reel seat, Matagi carbon foregrip and balance butt cap, and Fuji Alconite KR concept guides down to 5mm.
The Point Blank website says that this blank has an RDA of 525, which puts it below the IMX843. The website also says that this blank is not suited for lures under 1/2oz. This is not very accurate in my opinion. This blank feels right on par with the 843 in application, but is much more sensitive, which is why I am replacing the IMX in the first place. The PB701MHF loads up smoothly with 3/8oz. lures, but 1/2oz. is its sweet spot. I wouldn't use this rod for a deep water jig rod (1/2oz. and up) because I believe an RDA over 600 with a seven foot rod is necessary for this application. It inspires with the 1/4 to 1/2oz. bottom contact baits as well as any blank that I have tried.
My builder static loaded the rod and got the guide placement just right. There are eleven guides including the tip. Simple black and silver wraps are what I usually choose. The PTS seat is very comfortable. Mudhole now has the 17mm carbon tube inserts for the PTS at $9.95. The build weight came in a 154g with one brass and two aluminum disks in the butt cap. It balances perfectly with a 7.5-8oz. reel like my old tuned Zillions. I knew going in to the build that the Point Blanks do not have a thin diameter compared to some blanks in this class, but they are not overly large. I would build up a PB701HF if they had it. I guess I will build up a NFC 709HM next to see how the sensitivity compares.
Attachments
PB 701MHF KR Double Foot Guides.jpg
PB 701MHF KR Double Foot Guides.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
PB Specs.jpg
PB Specs.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
PB701MHF Handle.jpg
PB701MHF Handle.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 7751 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Force of "The One" Awakens

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:04 am

Awesome stick =D>. Me likey a lot.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:49 am

Looks good. Thanks for the info.

Couple questions for you. How long is the rear grip? How much does the balancer weigh as configured?

I'm thinking about building the 7 3 hf, but I don't like tip heavy rods and I'm hoping these blanks aren't poorly balanced.

Also, just to note that 525 is right in the ballpark for the SC70MF casting blanks

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 pm

smalliesteve wrote:Looks good. Thanks for the info.

Couple questions for you. How long is the rear grip? How much does the balancer weigh as configured?

I'm thinking about building the 7 3 hf, but I don't like tip heavy rods and I'm hoping these blanks aren't poorly balanced.

Also, just to note that 525 is right in the ballpark for the SC70MF casting blanks
The rear grip is 10 3/16 inches with the butt cap. The aluminum balancer (WBP-A2) has a brass sleeve that mounts in the blank. I have two aluminum (P-A2) and one brass (P2) disc installed on the threads. All these butt cap parts add up to 28g on my not so accurate digital scale. I didn't have to add much weight to balance the rod.
The PTS seat is a little bigger diameter and it requires a 17mm OD carbon insert that adds even more weight. The PB blanks have a fairly thick uniform butt section making handle installation easier. This thicker butt section may help keep the PB blanks from being tip heavy, but I don't know for sure.
I don't think that you will have a tip heavy rod with the 7'3" HF as long as you don't use a real light seat/handle configuration and a really light reel. The cool thing with the butt cap that I used is you that you take some of the worry out of a rod being too tip heavy, but I understand that nobody wants a ton of extra weight added to any part of a rod.

Ernest Horvath
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ernest Horvath » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:41 am

I have also built on this blank. All Fuji components. Torzite,#6 stripper, down to 4.5 runners and tip. 14 guides including tip. Sk2 split cast reel seat. Using Shimano Chronarch100MG. It is now my best casting worm/lizard rod. I use a 3/16 tungsten weight. I have also built on the lighter Point Blanks for spinning reels that I use for inshore fishing, with outstanding results.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:14 am

Ernest Horvath wrote:I have also built on this blank. All Fuji components. Torzite,#6 stripper, down to 4.5 runners and tip. 14 guides including tip. Sk2 split cast reel seat. Using Shimano Chronarch100MG. It is now my best casting worm/lizard rod. I use a 3/16 tungsten weight. I have also built on the lighter Point Blanks for spinning reels that I use for inshore fishing, with outstanding results.
Yes, you can go down to 3/16oz. with this blank. The manufacturer's lure recommendations are way off in my opinion. I wouldn't throw anything over 3/4oz. with this blank either. It's better to pay attention to the RDA's with Point Blank.
I went with a little bigger guides because I want the ability to fish braid with a leader if I have to. Also, it is hard for me to see the openings on guides smaller than 5mm. The algae bloom that we have on my home water clogs anything under 5mm. I do like the way the smaller guides perform in clean water though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:01 am

toddmc wrote:
Ernest Horvath wrote:I have also built on this blank. All Fuji components. Torzite,#6 stripper, down to 4.5 runners and tip. 14 guides including tip. Sk2 split cast reel seat. Using Shimano Chronarch100MG. It is now my best casting worm/lizard rod. I use a 3/16 tungsten weight. I have also built on the lighter Point Blanks for spinning reels that I use for inshore fishing, with outstanding results.
Yes, you can go down to 3/16oz. with this blank. The manufacturer's lure recommendations are way off in my opinion. I wouldn't throw anything over 3/4oz. with this blank either. It's better to pay attention to the RDA's with Point Blank.
I went with a little bigger guides because I want the ability to fish braid with a leader if I have to. Also, it is hard for me to see the openings on guides smaller than 5mm. The algae bloom that we have on my home water clogs anything under 5mm. I do like the way the smaller guides perform in clean water though.
Thanks for the heads up

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Very clean I like it!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 am

angry john wrote:Very clean I like it!
Thanks. I wrapped a few saltwater rods when I worked in a tackle shop a few decades ago and I got tired of seeing everybody trying to outdo each other with all the colorful elaborate wraps that you see on a lot of saltwater rods. So, I keep it very simple and utilitarian. The current builder of my rods keeps suggesting fancy wraps, but it may be a while before I am willing to let him do his magic. I may even have him do all black with no butt wraps or labels on my next rod. It's kind of funny to have people ask "what the heck is that rod?"

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:05 am

Nice work Todd!

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:03 am

nice! I applaud your minimalist approach as well

I try to build "blingless". Black wraps, simple handles, least weight and all performance

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:27 am

jimmyb wrote:nice! I applaud your minimalist approach as well

I try to build "blingless". Black wraps, simple handles, least weight and all performance
Yes, performance is what I really care about. Also, I often have a lot of combos on the deck of my boat at the same time and I don't want to feel like I am more likely to fish a certain combo because I am overly attached or attracted to it. I want to be willing to pick up any combo only because I think the lure on it is going to catch fish.

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:07 am

congrats on an awesome looking build.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for the compliments. The more time that I get with the rod it makes me shake my head in disbelief as to why Point Blank gives such a large line and lure rating for a 525 RDA rod. It is a little lighter than my old IMX 843's (560 RDA) which have much smaller line and lure ratings. The 701MHF is a great blank for throwing weightless Ika's to yo yoing 1/2 oz. rattle traps. Does anybody know if Point Blank is off this much on other blanks? I'm a little weary of playing the guessing game on another Point Blank build.

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:06 pm

jimmyb wrote:nice! I applaud your minimalist approach as well

=D> =D> =D> =D> that's my style also !!!