Phenix K2 build

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
redphish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Phenix K2 build

Post by redphish » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:28 am

I am looking into building a k2 rod to fish inshore for trout and redfish. It will have a shimano stradic ci4 2500 and 10lb test braid on it to help achieve maximum feel and casting distance. I am looking to keep this build simple in design and light in wieght. I was interested in putting microwave guides from American tackle but I wanted to hear other people's opinions and any suggestion y'all have. If you have any other opinions on different rod blanks I am also open to looking at different blanks. Thank you

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix K2 build

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:39 am

redphish wrote:I am looking into building a k2 rod to fish inshore for trout and redfish. It will have a shimano stradic ci4 2500 and 10lb test braid on it to help achieve maximum feel and casting distance. I am looking to keep this build simple in design and light in wieght. I was interested in putting microwave guides from American tackle but I wanted to hear other people's opinions and any suggestion y'all have. If you have any other opinions on different rod blanks I am also open to looking at different blanks. Thank you
Check this rod out. http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 14#p472187

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:51 am

Why a K2?

I'm not saying that the K2 isn't a good blank or a good option, but I'm of the firm belief that you start by finding the right blank for the job. The manufacturer is secondary. If its a K2, or a SCV, or an HM, or a Point Blank, you'll be equally happy. And, if the closest K2 isn't as good of an option as an HM model, or some other manufacturers model, you've then gone backwards. Regardless of what anyone says "the best" blank out there is, it won't be as good as a "lesser" blank that fits your needs better than "the best" blank.

Lure weights is a critical piece of missing info here.

redphish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by redphish » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:48 am

By best blank I do not mean what I can pay the most for or which is regarded as a high end rod. I want a rod that is best fit for my need which are throwing light inshore redfish lures like DOAs any soft plastics and the occasional top water. I think it is ridiculous that you typed an entire paragraph without giving me any useful information. But I will elaborate and tell you that the current rod I have is a St. Croix legend elite * ES70MF 7' M Fast 1 6 - 12 3⁄16 - 5⁄8. 3.8oz. I hope this can allow more people to answer my questions. Thank you in advance.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:09 am

redphish wrote:By best blank I do not mean what I can pay the most for or which is regarded as a high end rod. I want a rod that is best fit for my need which are throwing light inshore redfish lures like DOAs any soft plastics and the occasional top water. I think it is ridiculous that you typed an entire paragraph without giving me any useful information. But I will elaborate and tell you that the current rod I have is a St. Croix legend elite * ES70MF 7' M Fast 1 6 - 12 3⁄16 - 5⁄8. 3.8oz. I hope this can allow more people to answer my questions. Thank you in advance.
Mattman knows what he is talking about, he is one of the best builders in our forums. "Ridiculous" is a strong word for you to use, but I did noticed that you are new to the forums. :welc: If input is what you seek, a little more humility goes a long way. ;)
Last edited by zodiak311 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

redphish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by redphish » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:15 am

I relieved after I posted I did have a bit of a disrespectful tone I do apologize. I decided to post on this forum become of it all the knowledge members. I was not trying to be rude so once again I apologize I am just trying to gather some info before spending some money on a rod. Also any input on the guides?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:36 am

All good dude, I usually use alconites because they are decently priced and light, but you can't go wrong with SiC. Torzites are the new rage, but I have never used them myself.

I will leave the experts to answer the other questions though.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:04 am

Are you planning to do the build yourself or hire a builder?

Mattman is probably one of your best bets if you are farming the job out.

Give him specific lures you will be using, exact weights, what kind of line (braid, flouro, mono), and what type of action you prefer x-fast, fast, mod-fast, moderate etc and he will hook you up with a functional piece of art.

DaveJ

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MikeK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am

Logged in, typed a long reply and went to preview, got a screen that I needed to login. Went back to reply page that showed me logged in and tried to submit. Got same need to login screen but this time I couldn't get back to my message. ](*,)

Try again . . .

That's the type of fishing I do. Without a lot more detail about what you're looking to do (lures, size fish, predominant species, structure/open water, etc) my recommendations are pretty generic.
Redfish:
Mudhole MHX SB812HM (favorite)
Point Blank PB701MHF (new favorite)
Phenix M1 MX72MH
Northfork MB665IM

Combination:
Hydra SJ812 (favorite)
Batson REVS68MXF
Point Blank PB691MXF
St Croix 3C68MXF
American Bushido SB69-1015

Trout
Lamiglas LP844
Batson XSB822.5
St Croix 4C69MLXF

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Not stealing a thread on here, but Mattman is correct. Finding the best blank for the job is what is key. But also remember that looks different to everyone. If you can, try to get a hold of a dealer and "touch and feel." Everyone is going to tell you that theirs is better, but you really need to go and do some research, even if it means going to a different forum.

Where are you located? You can try to find a dealer in your area to "wiggle" different blanks.

And MikeK:
Batson doesnt have any branded rod blanks.. These are RainShadow's

NFC makes a great product too, US made, Gary Loomis, blah blah blah..

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:53 am

word of caution... the "hand wiggle test" on a low power blank will be deceiving. It is amazing how much the feel of a light power blank changes when it is actually built with guides. A 200-300 gr powered blank can feel really crisp until it is built into a spinning rod...

this also demonstrates why guide weights are so important

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:00 pm

jimmyb wrote:word of caution... the "hand wiggle test" on a low power blank will be deceiving. It is amazing how much the feel of a light power blank changes when it is actually built with guides. A 200-300 gr powered blank can feel really crisp until it is built into a spinning rod...

this also demonstrates why guide weights are so important
Words of rod building wisdom. Balance is everything. By the way k2's are sweet!