Megabass Simoom - Broken Tip

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
JCW VA
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Megabass Simoom - Broken Tip

Post by JCW VA » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 am

I am a long time lurker on this site, and this is my first post. I have been incredibly impressed by the knowledge and insight shared by the TT community.

I recently purchased a Megabass f3.1/2-610x7s Simoom secondhand in like new condition, so I do not have a warranty. Last week I took a nasty fall while wading for smallmouths, and the blank snapped about 3-4 inches from the tip. The break is just above the first guide. The first guide shattered on impact, but the tip top appears to still be in good condition.

I am trying to decide if the rod is salvageable. Is anyone on here familiar with this rod? If so, what impact would you anticipate to the taper by removing the top 4 inches? Due to the fast taper of the blank, my concern is that the rod will become a broomstick, and applications will be severely limited.

I was also considering trying to find another broken or damaged Simoom with the top half intact so that I could try to piece together a two piece rod. I know there aren't many of these rods out there, so this is probably not a legitimate option.

Any other ideas of how to repair or salvage this rod. I absolutely love this thing and would hate to just toss it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Simoom - Broken Tip

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 am

Subscribed :)

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 am

I think your best option is to just have it retipped..

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:59 am

Provided that the break doesn't travel down the blank and require that even more need to get cut off...

If you put a new tip on at the break you will probably wind up with a rod that is a full power heavier than where you started. So, if this was a Medium powered rod, it will now be more like a Medium Heavy rod.

You will have a completely different rod at this point. Not a bad rod, just a different rod.

If the break is clean, you can certainly splice the two sections together. However, the weight of the repair will be noticeable way out there at the tip of the rod. I really don't recommend this for feel presentation rods. For tip down, non feel presentation rods, it can be a good option. Jerkbaits or crankbaits.

Your thoughts on creating a 2-piece rod is a good thought. It certainly can be done if you can find that magical 2nd rod. A good builder can create a ferrule and get you back up and running.

JCW VA
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JCW VA » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:02 am

JerryC,

I am pretty sure that is what I am going to do for now. Thanks for your input.

Mattman,

Thank you for your response. I always enjoy seeing your beautiful work!

The break is clean, so I will probably replace the tip for now, but I have a feeling that the taper of the shorter blank is going to significantly limit the applications for this rod. The blank has a powerful butt, transitioning gradually until the top 12 - 16 inches, where most of the tip flex occurs. It seems to me that this blank is not a fast action or an extra fast action, but rather a hybrid with multiple tapers. I realize that sounds a little crazy, but this taper is just not something that I have seen in US made blanks. It appears that the shortened blank will have very little tip left. I have a feeling that it will need a good bit of weight to properly load, which would push it more towards applications where I would typically use casting gear. Hopefully it will make for a decent wacky jighead and finesse jig rod.

If I were to find that "magical" 2nd rod, would the textured surface (Yoloy Taping System as described by Megabass) of the rod make it more difficult to create a ferrule? I am sure you can tell by now that I am rod builder. I will keep looking, but I have a feeling that I will end up buying a new replacement and using this as a backup.

Does anyone know what Megabass does with rods returned under warranty? I wonder if they would sell me the top half of another broken rod if I mailed them the broken section.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:45 am

JCW VA wrote:

If I were to find that "magical" 2nd rod, would the textured surface (Yoloy Taping System as described by Megabass) of the rod make it more difficult to create a ferrule?
I would sand the ridges off the blank sections before making the ferrule.

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Any updates if this rod was covered under the MB USA warranty?