Broken Zombie

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
farmin542
Angler
Angler

Broken Zombie

Post by farmin542 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:13 am

I broke my 7' Zombie rod trying to jerk a Sammy out of a tree, yea it got away from me. Anyway it broke 2 guides from the tip and The broken off part is at the bottom of the lake because my line snapped too. I have seen a lot of pics of custom rods on here and there are obviously a lot of talented builders on TT. I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild this rod using the handle I still have and make this rod a 2 pc design with another blank sliding into this handle similar to a Western Flip design. If anyone has a suggestion on who to contact or interest in doing this project for me please let me know, thanks.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Broken Zombie

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 am

honestly making a 2 piece rod out of a standard blank that wasnt design to be a 2 piece, is problematic. Good 2 piece rods have an engineered section where diameter/length are controlled tightly for a good fit. They are also reinforced in this area.

you are best off to start over

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Broken Zombie

Post by Mattman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 am

farmin542 wrote: I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild this rod using the handle I still have and make this rod a 2 pc design with another blank sliding into this handle similar to a Western Flip design.

I'll 2nd jimmyb's comments.

Reusing the handle on another one piece build is very realistic. Doing a 2-piece sliding design is horribly problematic.