Customizing an Edge First Strike Rods

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Customizing an Edge First Strike Rods

Post by alex09 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Been reading about this Edge Rod and it got me really curious so i got a 714. After initial tests, it appears that it is not a FAST rod but rather a Regular action (as described by Japanese rod makers).

I think the problem is caused by the guides. According to description " the GTS guides feature machined stainless steel inserts swaged into a chromium-impregnated stainless frame". And they appear to be oversized --- one size bigger especially on the tip guides and the insanely humongous tiptop. Because of their weight, they appear to make the blank like a regular action rod. I remember Mattman replaced his NRX recoil guides and they made the rod more sensitive (and perhaps lighter). So I was thinking of doing the same.

If I replace the EDGE rod guides with FUJI Titanium SIC guides, would this make the rod a true fast action rod and perhaps make a suitable bottom contact rod?

I got the rod for a great price so getting a few TI SIC guides may not be a bad investment.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Customizing an Edge First Strike Rods

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't think changing the guides is likely to change the action much. Lighter guides will make the blank more lively/crisp but the bend should be very similar. The only way to make a rod "faster" is to stiffen up the mid and lower sections of the rod relative to the tip. Double foot guides most of the way up with micros near the tip might do that a bit, but now you are adding extra weight.

DaveJ

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks Dave. You are right, the bend will remain the same.
I guess a livelier rod and perhaps a more sensitive rod after the upgrade is still worth the effort.
Last edited by alex09 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 pm

I think the only way to improve sensitivity with guides are to use a lighter one, unless the previous guides were wrapped horribly.

If the rod is too soft, I would change couple of the mid-guides from single to double footed.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:32 pm

The action is determined by the blank and will not change at all no matter what you do.

A much lighter set of guides will make the rod feel different.

If you got a good deal on the rod, I'd seriously consider selling the rod at a profit and building exactly what you want.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Thanks Matt and Smallie

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:52 pm

I forgot to ask Matt, will changing to a lighter guide, like TiSic, make a rod less whippy and more sensitive? thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 pm

alex09 wrote:I forgot to ask Matt, will changing to a lighter guide, like TiSic, make a rod less whippy and more sensitive? thanks.
The more weight you can reduce out in the tip section of the rod, the better the rod blank will recover from vibration and the more freely it can transmit that vibration down the blank to your hand.

"Whippy"?? ... I don't know. That depends on your definition of whippy.

"Sensitive" ... I'm a firm believer that reduction in weight, especially out towards the tip, will translate into a higher level of sensitivity.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 am

Mattman wrote:The more weight you can reduce out in the tip section of the rod, the better the rod blank will recover from vibration and the more freely it can transmit that vibration down the blank to your hand.

"Whippy"?? ... I don't know. That depends on your definition of whippy.

"Sensitive" ... I'm a firm believer that reduction in weight, especially out towards the tip, will translate into a higher level of sensitivity.
Got it. Thanks Matt again for the help.

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:38 am

Great response Mattman! One thing to note as well. Every manufacturer rates their "rod blanks" different.

Also check out www.alpsforecast.com for Titanium guides for your build as well.