Guides for a custom Gloomis Mahogony

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Guides for a custom Gloomis Mahogony

Post by Flounder Guru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey guys i was wondering what type of guides yall think i should throw on my Gloomis Mahogony rod.
I know most of you guys would say its my opinion but i have no idea to be honest.
So tell me what you guys think

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Guides for a custom Gloomis Mahogony

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

I run Fuji TiSics on my CB845 Mahogony and Fuji SS Alconites on a burgundy CB847 I used to own.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 am

I'd run TiSiC's on it if it were for feel presentations. Stainless SiC for moving bait presentations.

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 am

Mattman wrote:I'd run TiSiC's on it if it were for feel presentations. Stainless SiC for moving bait presentations.
X2 - if you fish salt a lot, as your name suggests, Id say Ti frames for sure.

tman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 pm

I personally really like the titanium plated SiC guides...they offer additional corrosion resistance and stay great looking for a long time at a lower price point than the Titanium framed SiC's.

If you are totally after feel...bottom contact a GL3 blank probably isn't your best bet, but to squeeze every bit of sensitivity out of a blank the REC recoil guides offer unparalelled sensitivity, but handle the best with fluoro or mono. But you always have to worry about grooving with these...it's few and far between but I've heard of it happening. If you're fishing plastics, jigs, and bottom contact baits the recoils are a good bet. If you're fishing moving baits the grooving issue could be a higher issue, but again these isolated incidents are few and far between.

Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Post by Flounder Guru » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I decided and threw SiC guides for my spinning G loomis Mahogony.
I have recoils the silver ones on my older loomis Mahogony build about 4 yrs a go and haven't experienced any grooves on them. \:D/

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 am

Flounder Guru wrote: I have recoils the silver ones on my older loomis Mahogony build about 4 yrs a go and haven't experienced any grooves on them. \:D/
If you have used braid with those guides, try a q-tip swabbed around on the inside of the ring to be sure there is no damage that the naked eye can't see. I have seen it before. [-o<

Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Post by Flounder Guru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:34 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Flounder Guru wrote: I have recoils the silver ones on my older loomis Mahogony build about 4 yrs a go and haven't experienced any grooves on them. \:D/
If you have used braid with those guides, try a q-tip swabbed around on the inside of the ring to be sure there is no damage that the naked eye can't see. I have seen it before. [-o<
Nothing tried the Q-tip but the guides haven't picked up any cotton from the Q-tip, plus i use it for inshore saltwater fishing during Flounder season proves some people wrong. 8-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Flounder Guru wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Nothing tried the Q-tip but the guides haven't picked up any cotton from the Q-tip, plus i use it for inshore saltwater fishing during Flounder season proves some people wrong. 8-)
Glad to hear that they haven't given you any trouble.

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 am

Fuji TiSics all the way.