Can Guides Be Changed On Baitcast Rod?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Can Guides Be Changed On Baitcast Rod?

Post by Ghost » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm

I have a couple baitcast rods with regular guides and have been thinking if It's possible to get those guides off and replace with micro guides. Is this possible and what is the best way to re-balance the rod?

Bob Balcombe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Can Guides Be Changed On Baitcast Rod?

Post by Bob Balcombe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:48 am

You can change the style of guide on any rod. I have been removing guides for to many years. This is how I go about it. First of all have a sharp Utility knife, single edge , razor blade or a sharp Exato knife all three well get the job done. You being a first timer, I would lightly heat the finish with a cig. lighter or alcohol lamp. Just a couple of second over the finish well do the job. . Now cut the top thread over the foot and peel away. After removing the guide you well see and feel rough spots where the finish was, in most cases this can be removed by picking it off with your finger nail or using a credit card held at 90%. You do realize you well now have to do a re-spacing of the guides now. When you do this you well see a difference in the blank color where the old guides were. This can be corrected by using a blank finish product by Trondack (PermaGloss) or Bullards (CPXer)Rod finish. There are also other Urethane products out there you can use. I am just familiar with these 2.
Good Wraps Bob

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 am

You'll wind up with longer than necessary thread wraps (to cover up the old wrap areas) or some areas with scarring on the blank.

The easiest blanks to minimize scarring on are natural carbon blanks without finish. A Scotch Brite cleans them up well and doesn't show any scarring.

Bob Balcombe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bob Balcombe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am

If there is some scaring or area where is a thread covering marks he can use a product by Bullard called CPXer it is a thin rod finish that is user friendly
Good Wraps Bob