Rod quandry

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod quandry

Post by SPAZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:48 am

I thought the NFC posted their tips and butt measurements for their blanks? I found mine on the website. Secondly, Mattman did find some of the Phenix blanks underpowered as did I but the 715 seemed to be where it was supposed to. I don't like painted blanks so for me SC is out. I have K2 rods, had an HM rod and will have another one coming my way. My opinion.. you can't go wrong with either if you have all the data necessary to draw your own conclusions. Both blanks are more moderate-fast than fast but as I fish with them now I don't think it's a big deal with how I fish.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:21 pm

SPAZ wrote:Both blanks are more moderate-fast than fast
Both HM blanks that I listed or both NFC and K2?
I think you're saying both NFC and K2.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:23 pm

SPAZ wrote:I thought the NFC posted their tips and butt measurements for their blanks? I found mine on the website
:oops: :oops: you have to click on the blank model :lol: :lol:

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 pm

I just realized NFC is only about 35 miles from portland Oregon. I'm expecting a job offer from portland in the next couple days. :D :D One more reason to move to Oregon. \:D/

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 am

I'll sully the waters...for the budget and applications you listed, I'd do this:

1. Get an MHX and cut it down to size for the topwater/jerk rod. I had a MB853 cut to 6'5". Latrobe33 had a 6'6" cut to 6'5". No need for an HM blank....cause you are going to fish contact baits with:
2. A Lami XMG50 LSJ862.

It fits in the budget with a little left over.

Done.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm

so far matt is 100% correct.

My personal opinion at this point is id take a NFC or SC any day over a phenix and if cost is a issue its very hard to beat a MHX blank. Phenix blanks are very hard to pinpoint a blank that suits your needs unless you can handle the blank. Their blanks vary greatly compared to their ratings
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS