Custom Online, Where?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom Online, Where?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 am

Can anyone give me some suggestions on where I can have a custom rod built online? I want to be able to pick all my components on the web site, you know kinda build it on screen. Most places want you to call, but I'm not sure exactly what I want. No local builders in my area, and I have no desire to build my own. Thanks

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Custom Online, Where?

Post by cst » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Can anyone give me some suggestions on where I can have a custom rod built online? I want to be able to pick all my components on the web site, you know kinda build it on screen. Most places want you to call, but I'm not sure exactly what I want. No local builders in my area, and I have no desire to build my own. Thanks
Kistler has an interactive rod builder on their website. Not a true custom imo, but it's an option.

Or contact Mattman from the forums. He'll make you whatever you need. :)

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 am

x2 for mattman!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Don't sacrifice build quality and builder reputation for a fancy website. A good rodbuilder might not be a great flash website programmer. Get yourself in touch with Mattman and have a rod built by a rodbuilder, not a programmer. Although Cajun rods had a good sales pitch in another post, I can't speak for his work.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks guys.

I'll also echo Bigslicks comments. Regardless of who you select to build your rod, I wouldn't recommend just selecting components from a web site. Unless you are quite knowledgeable about components, you won't find out the pros and cons of specific parts and you'll be selecting components blind.

I also feel the phone is the wrong way to select components. A phone is a non documentable conversation. You can't send photos or links to examples via a phone call. While you can have a discussion it is often times a discussion without context and with a short term memory.

Check out www.tackleworks.org to see if there is a builder listed near you. Also you can check out the Custom Rod Builders Guild web site as they have a rod builder finder. http://www.rodguild.com/builderfinder.html And guild members go thru a small accreditation process.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 am

fancy websites dont make good rods!

i would argue that a builder that doesnt have a website might actually make better rods! I will take old school craftsmanship everytime!

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:25 pm

x3 for Mattman!

I have one of his rods and will be ordering another really soon. Workmanship is topclass as well as excellent communication and customer service.

-Don

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I don't think I explained myself very well. My intentions are not so much to have a rod built on the computer, but rather obtain specific details as to what exactly is available. Rod blanks, reel seats, grips, etc. This would all be good when I do decide to choose a builder so we don't have a 3 hour phone conversation. I would really like to use a reel seat very similar to the design Daiwa used on their Light and Tough series. I do not like the ACS, the ECS is okay, and the minima design is not bad. I guess I just want comfort and something different. I also have never owned a rod with what I would consider a high end blank. I am considering North Fork and St. Croix. Any suggestions? I want split quality cork, perhaps burl, and a very small foam fore grip with no exposed threads, and a clicking lock adjustment. No micro guides, likely the mid size like on the Powell Endurance series. Any info on titanium or steel frames? Alconite inserts should be fine, but interested in Zirconium. I want the rod to look clean with hot looking trim rings, maybe bright red, or polished. I will be putting my beloved Zillion 50th anniversary on it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Oh yeah, I also really like the reel seats that Cabelas uses on their rods. They are like the (is it WEBO?) seats on the new Airrus rods

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:48 pm

If you want a comprehensive website that is fairly easy to navigate through, checkout www.mudhole.com. They're one of the custom rod building/component suppliers. You can even call them and have them send a catalog to your door. They dont have every blank or component available to a custom builder, but they'll have plenty for you to think about. I'm not recommending them over anyone else as a supplier, but if you are wanting to get a feel for the variety of components on the market, their website is one of the best.

However, I will echo what many others have stated - a good builder will be able to quickly work with you to help figure out what components will truly meet your needs and style. Just because something looks great in a catalog doesnt always mean it is the way to go. A good builder will have the knowledge to help select what is best.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Check out the. Fuji sks reel seats. They seem to be the new hot s*#t and everyone is asking me for them. I don't know who makes a clicking hood, you might be able to steal one off an old shimano crucial spinning rod. I'd suggest you stick with Fuji for components if you can. Why are you hesitant to micro guides? I'm in love with them and they keep your rod feeling more like a blank. I pretty much only use Alconites and SIC's, they're strong, light and smooth. I don't service many Fuji guides.

Both NFC and Croix have great offerings, but when paying for a build, I'd buy the SCV or other top offerings. The difference in price at the end of the day is negligible when paying for labour. (plus I'm not a huge fan of SCIV for anything but moving baits).

Check Mudhole's website for what's out there. They have a ton of surf. I know the guys here know of other online stores for more funky/jdm style of components. But I build very minimalist weight wise and would not put a 5 gram part where a 3 gram part will do. The real custom in my builds is handle inlays and the difference in weight is negligible aspeacially in the handles.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:50 pm

What you want doesn't exist.And by the sound of your thread,you don't really want a custom,you want a factory rod-you just want to choose components and colors.There is no distributor for clicking foregrip reel seats,that also have skeleton daiwa seats.Find a builder you trust,tell them what you intend to fish with the rod,let them make suggestions............THEN pick colors and have a 3 hr conversation.fshn4lmt

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:08 pm

fshn4lmt wrote:What you want doesn't exist.And by the sound of your thread,you don't really want a custom,you want a factory rod-you just want to choose components and colors.There is no distributor for clicking foregrip reel seats,that also have skeleton daiwa seats.Find a builder you trust,tell them what you intend to fish with the rod,let them make suggestions............THEN pick colors and have a 3 hr conversation.fshn4lmt
That makes no since. Isn't that what having a custom rod built is? Picking components , colors, actions, materials to suit your stroke. I have plenty of factory rods, and if that were the case I would just swap parts. Thanks for your input!

swampland
Angler
Angler

Post by swampland » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
fshn4lmt wrote:What you want doesn't exist.And by the sound of your thread,you don't really want a custom,you want a factory rod-you just want to choose components and colors.There is no distributor for clicking foregrip reel seats,that also have skeleton daiwa seats.Find a builder you trust,tell them what you intend to fish with the rod,let them make suggestions............THEN pick colors and have a 3 hr conversation.fshn4lmt
That makes no since. Isn't that what having a custom rod built is? Picking components , colors, actions, materials to suit your stroke. I have plenty of factory rods, and if that were the case I would just swap parts. Thanks for your input!

You are correct in what you're saying. You want a custom rod built using quality components. Sometimes it's not so easy aquiring the components you're looking for, especially certain components from factory rods. There are lots of rodbuilders out there, some good, some great, some not so good and some downright bad.

Get in touch with a few builders and spend some time talking to them and let them know what you want in a rod.
Trust me, your time will be very well spent talking to several builders. Ask to see photos of their builds, close ups if possible, especially of the guide wraps and grips. Look for gaps in the threads and excess glue on the handles and threads on the seat.

There are several great builders on this site. Matt is one of the best on this forum. Take a look at the Show & Tell forum and go through lots of older posts of custom rods made by some of the builders here.

Hope I was able to help out a little.