Hot shot blank for dropshot?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Hot shot blank for dropshot?

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:23 pm

How do you builders feel about using a hotshot blank for using dropshots?

Can you describe a hotshot 9000 blank to a guy who has never seen one?

Can it handle 1/8-1/2 In extreme situations if needed? Blank will be used for dropshot only and want the blank to fish a dropshot properly but still have the power to handle a 4+ smallmouth that's pissed. I don't want to feel completely out of control and need a rod that will also help protect #6 test fluoro.

My other option in a sc76mlf
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Hot shot blank for dropshot?

Post by Mattman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hot Shot blanks are designed for Salmon. They can handle any Smallmouth you can get on the end of it.

The 76MLF and HS9000 (Loomis) and SSP 767-1 are all very similar.

Very fine light tip sections that transition quickly into the mid. They finish out with a very nice butt section.

Most feel these are too long for Drop Shot. I use them a lot for Walleye rig fishing, finesse distance work for both Bass and Walleye, and in low modulus versions for crankbaits.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am

nfc has a nice 7-6 hm dropshot blank. built one last year and it was great for the smallies* out on lake erie. it easily handles 1/2 ounce weights which is nice for deeper water. i love the hotshot blanks and they would work fine also because they are so versatile. i use them for anything from pitching' tubes to throwing cranks. my favorite ones were shikari shx but are no longer available. * i didn't weigh them but i know i had 2 days with 5 fish for 25 lbs

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am

For dropshot blanks to protect light line, look at popping rods - such as Batson IP841. IP842 for deeper water.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 am

cuke wrote:nfc has a nice 7-6 hm dropshot blank. built one last year and it was great for the smallies* out on lake erie.
I was reluctant to try the 7'6" NFC after building the 6'10" IM. It seemed, to me, underpowered for the Erie fish. I landed some 5#ers with it, but felt it would be a better river/reservoir DS rod.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm

I'd check out the new 1.5 power high mod MHX. I hear great things. 7'1" rated 6-12 and 3/16 to 7/16 mag light. I'll be buying one once I'm finished my HM-DS822.