Ask for inputs on ultralight casting rods

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
springcreek
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ask for inputs on ultralight casting rods

Post by springcreek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Thinking to have someone built an ultralight casting rod (lure weight starting 1/32oz) for crappie fishing. The rod will be paired with a pixy with finesse spool and will be throwing mainly 1/16 jig head with 1.5" baby shad. Length wise, looking for something 7' or 7'6". Try to see what's kind options out there. Any inputs or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ask for inputs on ultralight casting rods

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:37 pm

I've built two longer crappie rods, one casting and one spinning. The casting rod I built on a light powered 8' popping blank trimmed to 7'6". The spinning rod I build on an 8' two piece 3 weight fly rod. Both options will work, but you'll have more light powered options with fly rod blanks.

grub_man
Angler
Angler

Post by grub_man » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

The Batson 840 popping blanks make pretty sweet UL rods. I'll be doing one soon for a customer who wants to pair one built casting style with a Zebco 11 for his father. At 7'6", the HS9000 would be worth a look as well.

Joe
Joe Vanfossen

Delta Custom Rods

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm

How much would you like to spend on the blank? The MHX line has a lot of UL blanks in it from 5" to 7'3" for under $60. If you want to spend more I think it would be hard to beat the Phenix Iron Feather blanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 am

St. Croix's 7' LF would be the heaviest blank I'd recommend.

St. Croix has a 7' ULF as well which would be great.

Dan Craft has a 7'6" 3 weight fly blank that is dynamite for this too.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 am

Sounds like fun! Also check out the Phenix Rods "Elixer" FX761-2 3wt blank. TORAY carbon fiber two piece blank.
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Mattman wrote:St. Croix has a 7' ULF as well which would be great.
X2 on the 7" ULF St Croix's. When I really want to go light, I pair my Conquest 50S with that blank. I also use this reel on a Lamiglas XMG LSJ781 extended out to 7' as well.
cjtoad wrote:If you want to spend more I think it would be hard to beat the Phenix Iron Feather blanks.

I havent tried one of these yet, but Im thinking about picking up another finesse casting reel just to have the excuse to give one a try!

springcreek
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by springcreek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks all for the inputs. Looks like there are quite some options. I'll stop by Custom Rod Builders Show (Texas) this Saturday and to check out some options too.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Ive built a few on Lami LSJ841's which turn out great for throwing 1/16 lures. I got a few LSJ840 if you really want to go light.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks all for the inputs. Looks like there are quite some options. I'll stop by Custom Rod Builders Show (Texas) this Saturday and to check out some options too.

We will see you there! Stop by the Phenix Booth and say hey!

Vince
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 am

Ryan808 wrote:Ive built a few on Lami LSJ841's which turn out great for throwing 1/16 lures. I got a few LSJ840 if you really want to go light.
Where did you get LSJ840 blanks? Are they Lamiglas?

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Where did you get LSJ840 blanks? Are they Lamiglas?[/quote]

I got them as floor stock at Lami.

springcreek
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by springcreek » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Vince - Will definitely stop by say hey. Looks like you have the best spot in the show and it will be hard to miss. Welcome to Texas.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Mattman wrote:Dan Craft has a 7'6" 3 weight fly blank that is dynamite for this too.
agree! DC fly blanks punch well above their rating (think 2-3 weights above what they are rated - some cases 4) strong butt, faster blank tapers and light tips.
if you want something no one else has (but will want after picking yours up!) try it out
ive got a 2wt thats really a 4wt in denial! and can cast a 6wt line tho its pushing it a bit

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 am

I've been building UL baitcasters for nearly 30 years and they are great fun. I have found most of the UL and L blanks along with 2-5 or 6weight fly rod blanks all work well. I have been able to throw a 1/16 oz ball jig with a 1 1/2" crappie tube in the vicinity of 100' feet quite easily in the right conditions. That being said for overall fishing I still prefer spinning gear for 1/16 oz. One thing to remember, make sure you build a spiral when building UL baitcasters. The Pixy will work well but my favorite is a Revo Premier with 4 lb line and a 2/3 full spool. The dual brake give unbelievable controll with this application. I also have a Conquest 51 with Avail spool and mag brake that works very good. I like the Premier so much I sold my Pixy even though it is a wonderfull reel. Good luck and enjoy your project.