A few questions on my first rebuild

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

A few questions on my first rebuild

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm rebuilding a St. Croix PS70MHF. It's a boredom project, and If it turns out, I imagine myself throwing BBZ 2fer rids on it.
Iv'e stripped the guides, and split the grip as well as chopped back the foregrip quite considerably.
1) I've scraped the epoxy under the cork as much as I am comfortable doing, is sanding an option? The graphite in the bare spots seems to come off faster than the epoxy when I sand. Citristrip here?

2) I am planning on going with micros, not too expensive as I will likely only throw flouro on this rod. Steel/Alconite ok?

3) How do I go about spacing the guides properly, are there recommended intervals somewhere?>
Will likley Citristrip the blank too.

Thanks. It's my first attempt at a rod rebuild.
Set hard and set often

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: A few questions on my first rebuild

Post by Mattman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm

[quote="BucketHunter" ]
1) I've scraped the epoxy under the cork as much as I am comfortable doing, is sanding an option? The graphite in the bare spots seems to come off faster than the epoxy when I sand. Citristrip here?
[/quote]

I scrape. I use a heavy duty X-Acto knife. The blade being perpendicular to the blank and scrape.

If you sand, it needs to be backed on a block to avoid the issue you're having.

[quote="BucketHunter" ]
2) I am planning on going with micros, not too expensive as I will likely only throw flouro on this rod. Steel/Alconite ok?
[/quote]

Yes

[quote="BucketHunter" ]
3) How do I go about spacing the guides properly, are there recommended intervals somewhere?>
[/quote]

St. Croix has guide spacing charts on their web site. That's as good of place to start as any.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods