Fuji BMKOG so tiny!!

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fuji BMKOG so tiny!!

Post by cjtoad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Have any of you guys wrapped these guides yet. How in the HELL do you get them to stay put while you wrap them? I can seem to wrap them unless I just leave the piece of tape on and wrap over the tape. I tried silicone tubing (blank is to thin) and if I glue them I can't adjust them later. I know I've asked this question before, but I'm still having a lot of trouble. The more I use mircos the more I like fishing with them, so I need a better way to wrap them. Is it easier with thinner thread, I've been wrapping them with C or D because that's what I normally use to overwrap guide with? Any help would be great.
Attachments
004.1.jpg
004.1.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 6898 times

grub_man
Angler
Angler

Re: Fuji BMKOG so tiny!!

Post by grub_man » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Personally, I just use a thin strip of tape to hold the guide in place. One thing that seems to help me is to knock the finish off of the underside of the guide foot. With the finish knocked off, they tend to stay put a little better when wrapping, almost gripping the blank.

Others have success using orthodontic rubber bands. I've used spinnerbait skirt collars cut in half, and they seem to work well also. Another method is to start the wrap and place the foot of the guide over the first couple wraps. After you get a few wraps over the foot, wiggle the guide and pull the foot under the wraps. Finish wrapping as usual.

When I get a stubborn guide that wants to slide up the blank, I'll take a small wire tie, and clip it off behind the 'nut' leaving a handle that I can tape to the blank. The wire tie serves as a block to keep the guide from pushing out from under the thread wraps.

Definitely wrap them with size A thread. You'll be able to get a few more wraps on the guide before you get to the tape.
Joe Vanfossen

Delta Custom Rods

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:21 pm

When wrapping micros I use 1/8 inch tape and cut a slit in the tape long enough to slip the foot in. I have had a much better and faster turn around time when wrapping micros using this technique.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Nice I like the wire tie and cutting a slit in the tape idea, thank's guys.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 am

Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive

cjtoad wrote: and if I glue them I can't adjust them later
#1 - If you glue them...you don't have to adjust them later.

#2 - IF you have to adjust, warming with a hair dryer is enough to shift them.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 am

A thread!

and good guide foot prep. I still prep all my micros, some of the feet on micros are worse than "normal" sized guides

I use thin strips of good 3M masking tape that does not leave residue. 1/16-1/8" strip cut with a razor

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

i would use masking tape and cut them into thin stripes and stick it before the guide grooves up. then i would use size "A" thread and work my way up the guide and remove the tape. make sure not to stick the tape around the blank or have both stick end touch each other. should be simple enough :D
T.W.A.T. Member

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 am

I took Mattman's advice several rods ago and glue any micros Im tying. Its proved to be the easiest method so far for me. Ive found I can still adjust them after the fact if they need a little tweeking and havent had to use a hair dryer to do so.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I use the tubing. On the thin tip sections, you just have to double it over the blank.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank's all. I've got a build I'm go to do Friday night with Fuji PLSG so I'll be trying all of your methods. I've got spiral wrapped mircos on almost all my rods now and IMO it's the best guide setup out there, I've just had so much trouble wrapping the last third of the rod with my fat burnt fingers and those tiny guides. Thank's again for all the great ideas TT rocks.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 am

craigrbns wrote:I took Mattman's advice several rods ago and glue any micros Im tying. Its proved to be the easiest method so far for me. Ive found I can still adjust them after the fact if they need a little tweeking and havent had to use a hair dryer to do so.
Ditto. Heat the guide foot a little, touch it to the glue, stick on the blank. It's still a little time consuming but it saves time down the road.

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Use a very little of thermal glue ( like fuji tip or others than melt whit temperature) , just a very little quantity putted over the guide foot ,only what is needed to mantain in place the guide, then wrap it.
you can adjust the guide if you want, only by heating the guide ,
the same that is usual for tip tops.
Last edited by gpoler on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Melt a bit of hot glue and glue it on

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:12 am

Hot glue is one way. However, I like the 3" cable ties from Swampland.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Small tape strips are the way to go. Guide foot Adhesives dampen the sensitivity a little and that is why I personally don't like it. I do have to prep every micro guide also, it helps tremendously with the transition up the foot. I wish the guide manufacturer would do that before they plate, paint, or whatever other finishes are on them. If you think these guides you are talking about are tough try Batsons. They were the first micros I ever wrapped and boy are those feet short.