Bamboo spinning rod for drop shot?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
xyzman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bamboo spinning rod for drop shot?

Post by xyzman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:19 am

Has anybody tried a bamboo spinning rod? I hear bamboo is sensitive and was thinking it would make a great custom drop shot rod.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bamboo spinning rod for drop shot?

Post by cst » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 am

Since you mentioned sensitivity, you should go with graphite. A bamboo rod would be fun, but I don't see how it could possibly be anywhere near as sensitive as graphite.

xyzman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by xyzman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:35 pm

I know senistivity is subjective and not even sure if bamboo is more sensitive than graphite but a split bambo spinning rod would just look beautiful. If it can be sensitive enough to fish as a drop shot that would be a great.

Something I found through google...

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Yeah I think it would look great. I'd love to have one for trout fishing. Just wish they weren't so expensive.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 am

If bamboo was better than graphite or even fiberglass, it would be mainstream and we would all be using it. Fiberglass surpassed it in performance many years ago.

Bamboo looks cool and is nostalgic, that's all. Always wanted to build one... to hang on the wall, but not to fish with.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 am

Snyder Rods wrote:If bamboo was better than graphite or even fiberglass, it would be mainstream and we would all be using it. Fiberglass surpassed it in performance many years ago.

Bamboo looks cool and is nostalgic, that's all. Always wanted to build one... to hang on the wall, but not to fish with.
I am assuming you are talking about conventional gear, because this it just not true when it comes to fly rods, particularly for trout. Bamboo rods, when made correctly are the smoothest casting and best fish fighting tools out there. And, the only reason they have died back in popularity is that they aren't efficient to make and therefore very expensive. They take a lot of time and skill to build properly, unlike a glass or graphite rod.

I actually find slit cane bamboo to be pretty darn sensitive and for protecting light line there is nothing better.

I think you would love a can spinning rod xyzman, give it a go!
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS