Custom Glass Spinning?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Custom Glass Spinning?

Post by daiwa lunatic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Just curious, Has anyone build any custom glass spinning rod, haven't heard or seen any here, it would me nice if anyone can post some picture

grub_man
Angler
Angler

Re: Custom Glass Spinning?

Post by grub_man » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 am

A spinning rod can be built on any blank. There just aren't many situations where I would choose a glass blank and a spinning reel. Unless the angler is a spinning gear only person wanting a glass cranking rod, or the angler has absolutely no respect at all for their gear, a graphite blank is usually a better choice (with regard to freshwater applications). Even then, most standard modulus blanks can take a fair amount of abuse and keep on fishing.

The only glass spinning blank I have at the moment is a little 5' UL that will be my daughter's first rod in the next year or so. The whippy nature of the glass blank will exaggerate the bend in the rod, making it a little more fun when she starts fishing.
Joe Vanfossen

Delta Custom Rods

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 am

Not to be a wise cracker but...

What difference does it make if a picture of a custom rod is of one with a glass blank? A blank is a blank. Most all are painted whether they are graphite, composite, or glass.

Here's a graphite/glass Lamiglas I did a few years ago...

Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I know that it doesn't matter for a blank to be graphite or glass, but I just want to know how popular glass on spinning application on custom build rod demand.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 am

I will be more blunt... I don't think anyone in their right mind would build a custom spinning rod from a glass or even composite blank...

Fisherboy
Angler
Angler

Post by Fisherboy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am

I would respectfully disagree. There are a LOT of bass fisherman out there that can't throw a baitcaster to save thier butts. Hince a custom glass/composite would be ideal for the spinning reel fisherman who can't buy one from Wallyworld.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Fisherboy wrote:I would respectfully disagree. There are a LOT of bass fisherman out there that can't throw a baitcaster to save thier butts. Hince a custom glass/composite would be ideal for the spinning reel fisherman who can't buy one from Wallyworld.
i would still argue they would be better off buying a graphite rod

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I have a few glass spinning rods. An old Slider rod built before graphite was very popular and built several for friends. And a slower action ML power makes a great Shad Rap rod and works well with other small baits and topwaters. Does a good job of casting and keeping the bass hooked with the small hooks. I also built a caster on a close out ($15) St Croix Ml glass blank (SCI?) that I built when I first got back into build to try the spiral wrap. Wish I could get some more of this blank because it made a killer square bill rod and works well with up to 1/2 ounce baits. So yes there are some applications where the glass blanks works for me. ALL my rods were glass when I first started bass fishing (before BASSMASTER magazine sterted). I do admit I have retired these for soft graphite but they still will work.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:47 pm

btune, its 2012 now! :)

I still stand behind my statement that there is no real reason to build a custom fiberglass spinning rod for bass fishing. There are SOOO many good graphite blanks that bend in so many different ways that you can choose from and they are so much lighter than a glass rod!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 am

I think the reason we don't see many glass spinning rods is because spinning bass tournament rods are usually used for finesse plastics and jigs - often these are slack line techniques - for that, you want as much sensitivity as you can get so that you don't gut-hook and kill fish - so high modulus graphite blanks are usually the order of the day. With slack or semi-slack line fishing, it's often harder to detect hits when the line is not very tight.

But if you wanted to fish any plugs with treble hooks on spinning, glass or composite would be the way to go - the softer nature of the glass could help keep you hooked up. But baitcasters are used more often for plugs.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Snyder Rods wrote: But if you wanted to fish any plugs with treble hooks on spinning, glass or composite would be the way to go - the softer nature of the glass could help keep you hooked up. But baitcasters are used more often for plugs.
You sir, are clearly not in your right mind. :lol: :lol: :roll:

OP, Here's my thought it's a CUSTOM rod. Build/get what YOU want/need. Yes graphite will be tend to be lighter, more sensitive ( IIRC Dobyns makes a glass cranking rod that's lighter than their comparable graphite model), but that isn't always first priority.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Is this not a CUSTOM ROD topic? If someone wants something, let them have it as long as they are well informed. I know many very good older anglers who don't touch casting gear and probably never will. If they want a slower reacting tip for cranks or other plugs and can't use a casting rod, who am I (are we) to try to change their ways.

FinReaper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FinReaper » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I love the soft action of my Phenix XG 100% Glass Rods for Crankbaits.
I use the same XG casting rod for bait fishing with circle hooks .
The handle configuration for bait fishing just wasn't the way i like, after all its a crankbait rod not a live bait rod.
The soft rod loads up nice when using circle hook tactics
i wanted to utilize my bait runner spinning reels, so i had a Phenix XG blank made into a spinning rod.
It is awesome for any bait situation and loads up perfect after engaging a bait runner reel

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Same here I use a falcon bucks spin cracker for the smallest shad raps and other finesse cranks. I could definitely see having a more moderate spinning rod built out of glass or composite depending on a few factors: lightweight cranks that are harder to cast on a baitcaster without spending a ton on bfs. If someone is not proficient with or doesn't like to use casting tackle, I could definitely see having a glass crankbait blank built as a spinner. I use spinning tackle for hard and soft jerks and other techniques many people choose casting tackle for. Some of the reasons why are to get more distance from shore, in strong winds, or because they just aren't good with baitcasters. I remember reading an article several years ago about how Mark Davis was using spinning tackle to cast 5"+ swim baits extra far in tail races and clear water

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:13 am

Some thoughts:

Generally, a glass rod might be softer and good for live bait and treble hook applications.

The glass rods tend to be more durable also.

That said, stretchier line could help in that regard too, so that might negate the use of glass?

But sensitivity would take a nose dive, and it would be heavier and less responsive.

I agree with Matt above, glass would be better for crankbaits and a baitcasting rod.