What brand / style tip top best reduces line wrap

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What brand / style tip top best reduces line wrap

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm considering purchasing Fuji K tip tops -- or some other brand depending upon suggestions. So my questions is:

1. How effective are specific tip tips for reducing line wrap / tangling around the rod tip section? -- I am specifically asking in regards to fishing with braided line and spinning rods.

In this case I am not building additional rods -- but rather-- I am considering the effectiveness of replacing tip tops on numerous rods to reduce the problem of line wrap / tangles around the rod tips as much as possible.

I only experience line wrap /tangle problems on an occasional basis -- but would prefer to spend more of my available time fishing, rather than dealing with tangles.

SusitnaSalmonGuide
Last edited by Susitnasalmonguide on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

mhr650
Angler
Angler

Re: What brand / style tip top best reduces line wrap

Post by mhr650 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Kigan tips are the best you will find for not letting the line wrap. the braces are welded to the side of the tube and don’t wrap over the back, that is what catches the line and causes it to wrap, they also have the best ring retention of any guide I have used. My second choice would be the American Tackle with the brace on the same side of the tube as the ring. I have completely stopped using any Fuji tip, the brace wraps around the backside of the tube which is what causes the line wrap, and the rings are constantly falling out.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 pm

A smaller ring will also resist tip wraps - I would use the smallest that will handle the intended line.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:35 pm

mhr650,

Thanks for the reply. I had not considered using a Kigan tip tiop -- am not even familiar with the brand, but will see what I can find. The other thought about finding a tip top with the bracing on the same side as the tip ring is also interesting -- as rods with some of those type tip tops are some of the ones I was considering replacing tip tops. I may have to do some re-thinking -- or at least some experimenting to see what works best before I dive in wholeheartedly on this project.

I also appreciated snyder rods comment about using a smaller tip top ring size -- any suggestions as to what might be a good size for reducing rod tip wraps -- but not so small that might cause problems passing knots or causing other problems. I was considering trying size 6.

SusintaSalmonGuide

mhr650
Angler
Angler

Post by mhr650 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 pm

You can get Kigan guides and tips from Hydra Fishing or Swampland tackle, I think both the guides and tips are the best on the market now.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:30 am

Buy several different sizes and experiment - that's the only way to know for sure - they are not that expensive, and you will have extras in case you break a guide and for other rods.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 am

somebody needs to define what a tip line wrap is...

1) Is it simply one pass of line or one loop going going over the rod tip that don't cinch down?

2) is it multiple wraps of line that manage to cinch tight? They usually pull tight where the brace of the tip top ends into the the tube.

I believe we are talking about #2 for the most of the issues. #1 any tip-top can survive pretty easily.

#2 is the bugger. How i usually get these out is by trying to pull the looped line up the brace to give me a little slack that i can then pick out with a hook. Honestly, i dont think tip top geometry can really do anything to cure these types of knots. Our only hope is getting them out easier.

I am starting to experiment fuji MNAT tip tops (st croix is also switching to these tip tops for 2012 on the legend tournament line). My theory/hope is that once the wrap occurs, you can simply pull it up over the finish to the nice tapered brace and get it to slide off the tip or give you enough slack that you can pick out the knot

here is a pic of the MNAT (no finish yet on the thread)

here is a pic of the Kigan micro tip:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 am

I personally feel the MNT's are the best. However they are large and heavy in comparison to other tops. I do use them on heavier rods. Almost exclusively on Muskie sticks as I don't think they are a detractor there at all.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm

The problem with the MNAT tip is just about any braid to leader connection gets caught in the the neck of the V bracing. Back to back uni & albright knots catch with even closely trimed mono tags as the knot enters the tip top. I have a 2012 legend tournament.

jimmyb wrote:somebody needs to define what a tip line wrap is...

1) Is it simply one pass of line or one loop going going over the rod tip that don't cinch down?

2) is it multiple wraps of line that manage to cinch tight? They usually pull tight where the brace of the tip top ends into the the tube.

I believe we are talking about #2 for the most of the issues. #1 any tip-top can survive pretty easily.

#2 is the bugger. How i usually get these out is by trying to pull the looped line up the brace to give me a little slack that i can then pick out with a hook. Honestly, i dont think tip top geometry can really do anything to cure these types of knots. Our only hope is getting them out easier.

I am starting to experiment fuji MNAT tip tops (st croix is also switching to these tip tops for 2012 on the legend tournament line). My theory/hope is that once the wrap occurs, you can simply pull it up over the finish to the nice tapered brace and get it to slide off the tip or give you enough slack that you can pick out the knot

here is a pic of the MNAT (no finish yet on the thread)

here is a pic of the Kigan micro tip:

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:20 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. There is much I had not thought about -- so I'm intending to proceed slowly and experiment as I go. I've been reading quite a bit on the internet about micro guides -- but I have not even seen a single rod here in Alaska equipped with micro guides -- so I've ordered one up to try. That will also give me something to reference as to how a correctly designed micro guide system might work. It will give me another tip top to look at -- will have a Fuji tip top with the brace welded to the back side -- the type most everyone so far has mentioned tends to create or compound the problem of line wraps around the rod tip which cinch down tight. Depending upon how it works for me -- it may be one of the tip tops I change out.

I've also ordered some of the Fuji MNAT tip tops through a local tackle shop (they did not have any of this style in stock). Following recommendations this style also "looks" like it should better shed line wraps around the rod tips. Haven't yet ordered any of the Kigan tip tops -- I am, however, considering doing that over the internet, as my local tackle shop with rod building supplies made no mention of Kigan guides / tops.

I am confident, that following your suggestions, I will find something that works better than some of the current tip tops on most of my rods. Therefore I, Thank You, for offering each suggestion that will undoubtedly help reduce some of my trial and error.

Plenty of snow and ice in Alaska -- so unfortunately even after fitting a few rods with new tip tops, there will be little opportunity for testing until late April or early May. If I think of it at that time, I may report back on what seems to work best for my situation.

SusitnaSalmonGuide