Micro Guides....what should I get?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Micro Guides....what should I get?

Post by North Branch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:00 am

Tokugawa wrote: It more like where do you spend the money for the best return on investment. Every build has a budget, whether it is just $200, $500 or even $1000 for a RedlineRobert horny toad rod. :lol:

For $75 (just for discussion), the question is not "can I get better guides?". It is, "where is this best used?" For instance, $75 may get a lighter reel, or upgrade the reel to get a better spool or lighter handle, or even get a better blank. If everything else is utterly optimized, and there is money left over, then a Ti/SiC guide train is something to consider.

But that is just me.
Good points. I tend to forget that my customs are fly rods (old ones that I built) and a spinning rod. So, spending money modifying or super tuning a casting reel was not a consideration for me, and I could focus on the rod and it's components. I had a budget, but wanted to make sure and never "wonder" if I should have done something different. I have no idea if using less expensive, or different guides would have worked as well, but I'm pretty sure that using less expensive or different guides would not have made it a better rod. :D

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

I too would like to thank all posters for a very informative and thoughtful thread with differences of opinion that may prove beneficial to all readers. In addition I much appreciate everyone respecting each other's opinion with no bashing those opinion simply because they are different. The perfect type post I like to read.

SustinaSalmonGuide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 am

Seems like whenever the subject of expensive guides comes up Fuji is always mentioned and I can understand that they have a solid reputation and some great high end guides, but when economy is mentioned other companies come up. Fuji has stainless aluminum oxide guides that are very reasonably priced and the thing is they are in most cases the EXACT frame design as the high end guides. The rings go through the same polishing steps as the high end guides, the frames are formed in the same molds as the high end guides, the finish and polish is the same as the high end guides, the stainless material in an SiC is the exact same stainless (and polish) as an Aluminum Oxide. All that great Fuji quality in their least expensive guides... seems like a good value to me.
Angler's Resource

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Angler JO wrote:are in most cases the EXACT frame design as the high end guides.

except for the K series.... last time i checked

you do bring up a good point. I, personally, would have no issues running hardaloy, but dont like the grey color!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

K-Series in ALCONITE aren't too bad and I understand about Hardloy. I'd go with Alconite ot even Al Ox when color matters. By the way, I am affiliated with Anglers Resource.
Angler's Resource

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Has anyone else noticed an increased amount of black colored frames bending or breaking easier or is this only my experience? Whether or not fly style (concept) or micros?

Bigbass422
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bigbass422 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm

I just purchased some new recoil 4.5mm micos, ID is same as Fuj but he OD is smaller (no Insert). Micros don't take the same abuse as standard guides in your rod locker. These Recoil guides are very small and light.