Can you make a rod stiffer??

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Can you make a rod stiffer??

Post by xxlbass » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 am

white03 wrote:I have a favorite rod but wish it was a little stiffer. Seems like I recall reading somewhere that it's possibile to make a rod stiffer by wrapping tape between the 3 or four guides from the top. Anybody ever heard this before and given it a try?? thank you Bill
no, but if you place a few of these in the butt cap it should do the trick :D

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

not hat's funny... :lol: :lol: :lol:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:13 pm

xxlbass wrote:
white03 wrote:I have a favorite rod but wish it was a little stiffer. Seems like I recall reading somewhere that it's possibile to make a rod stiffer by wrapping tape between the 3 or four guides from the top. Anybody ever heard this before and given it a try?? thank you Bill
no, but if you place a few of these in the butt cap it should do the trick :D
the butt is the wrong spot.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:19 pm

froteur wrote:the butt is the wrong spot.
That turns you into a hard a$$ :strface:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
froteur wrote:the butt is the wrong spot.
That turns you into a hard a$$ :strface:
true dat. :big grin:

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Seroiuslly, I made some experiment on this before, you need to remove the butt cap and reamed out the extra epoxy on the inside hole of the rod and insert another blank inside( fly blanks is the closes't fit, bec. its light and long enough to reach the tip ), you have to find a blank that will fit in terms of the inside diameter of your rod and outside diameter of the fly blanks and up to the length to the tip, this will create a heavier rod for you ( this is the down side), but a more stiffer rod and stronger, then if your fine with everything that's the time you glue back the butt cap. with this setup you will hear the inside blank shake, I have use a masking tape as the sleeve to prevent the shaking of the internal rod.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't bastardize your NRX. Tape? Microguides? Rod blanks inside of rod blanks? Double Footed Guides? You've got to be kidding me. That's a 500$ rod you are about to ruin. Send Mattman a PM and have him recommend a replacement rod for you. Sell the Loomis, get an Otter custom and you'll be blown away by the performance. I had my custom SC5's next to my buddies GLX and NRX rods small mouth fishing two weekends ago. I wouldn't trade my one offs for anything loomis makes. Nice rod the NRX, but not a custom. Buy a new one with more power, sell that one if necessary. But what ever you do... Leave that rod alone.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Don't worry, no way I am going to mess-up the NRX. Was asking to see if there was a way, then, and only then, if it would not permanently change or damage the rod was I going to try something. Guess I'll wait for a 7'5" or longer NRX in heavy action. Or get a custom Phenix built on the K2 765 blank ...... if they ever release it..:(

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 am

white03 wrote:Don't worry, no way I am going to mess-up the NRX. Was asking to see if there was a way, then, and only then, if it would not permanently change or damage the rod was I going to try something. Guess I'll wait for a 7'5" or longer NRX in heavy action. Or get a custom Phenix built on the K2 765 blank ...... if they ever release it..:(
i vote for the custom wrapped k2 (as soon as the blanks show up). [-o<