Short report on new Croix SCV 610 spinning rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Short report on new Croix SCV 610 spinning rod

Post by btune » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 am

I got my new rod completed in time to fish it Saturday (pushed completion to the limit as usual) and broke it in with a nice 2.8 largemouth. Not that that had anything to do with it but this rod is now my go to shaky head rod! The extra fast tip makes casting easy and it has plenty of power for shaky heads in fact I think the rod is underrated in power. This blank is new for this year and I have another 610 blank ready to build for my partner!

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Short report on new Croix SCV 610 spinning rod

Post by shfishinsticks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm still waiting for mine. St. Croix now says the end of June. I'm hoping it will fit between the 69mlxf and the 68mxf. There seems to be a big gap between those two, and the specs put it in that slot.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 am

the 610 will fish a lot like the 6'8" that is 2" longer in the butt! :)

I have a 6'8" that is lengthened to 7'. It is my goto rod for finesse.

When measured on a deflection of 1/3 the working length, the 5s68mxf measures significantly more powerful than a 5s70mf. If you are looking for an inbetween, you should be looking at the 5s70mf and trim it down to whatever length floats your boat!

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 am

Yes I agree it has plenty of power. On the water I do not notice any difference in the extra fast action at all. It has become my shaky head rod of choice in one trip. I only used an 1/8 ounce Giggy head with it but I think it would cast 1/4 ounce and beyond easily. Working on number two now!