Tip Diameter Size

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tip Diameter Size

Post by FishBlock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 pm

I recently chipped the SiC on my GLX BCR 854's tip. I was going to replace the tip myself since G.Loomis does not send anymore tips to their customers and rather have their investors (me) ship the whole rod in to get fixed itself, which would cost me about $25 and a 1-2 weeks waiting period. G.Loomis reps. also referred me to another dealer for parts in which i did not understand....had me thinking if i called the right number...I thought I had a G.Loomis rod :-k thats why I called them...but was referred to some other dealer...I just found it really inconvenient. I was really disappointed in their customer service knowing that I paid for a high end rod and got treated very very very poorly.... I love my Loomis rods, but their customer service is horrible!!! :evil: Just had to vent... :lol:

I was wondering if anyone knew what size tip I need to replace the broken tip of my GLX BCR 854. Thank you.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Tip Diameter Size

Post by Mattman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 am

They wouldn't/couldn't even tell you what size tip was required?

I know I've helped a few guys with St. Croix's and St. Croix told them the exact model and size tip they needed to buy to do a replacement.

You need either a tip sizing tool or a caliper. Tips are measured in 64th's of an inch. So a size 5 is 5/64" in diameter.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods