light weight glass blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

light weight glass blanks?

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 am

Is there such a thing? :D I'm thinking I might have a crank rod built sometime this year. I have a 7' MH Daiwa TDS glass rod I'm using now and love everything about it except the weight. It handles every type of crank I throw without ever seeming over or underpowered. I also like it for 3/8 - 1/2oz spinnerbaits.

So I'm thinking maybe I should just see if I can find a lighter weight glass blank and have somebody do it all up with the eva and a little bling. Probably go with micros on it since I don't have to worry about knots coming thru them.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: light weight glass blanks?

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:07 pm

The Phenix XG1-G700 7' glass blank weighs in at about 2.7 oz I would imagine someone could build it out under or close to 4 oz! Retail on the blank is about $70.00!

http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=23
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:20 am

I was noticing that on their site, but on Mudhole's it's showing 3.7oz. The other 2 blank weights are consistent on both sites, so I wonder if maybe the 2.7 was a typo?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 pm

So...why glass?

Today's graphite crankbait tapers really mimic glass well. And they are truely light in comparison.

Some guys love glass. Bless their hearts. Personally, I can't stand it. Its heavy, its sluggish, it has no feel...

If you love glass and want a light glass blank, then so be it. But if you want to cut weight and are really only looking to keep the taper, look at dedicated crankbait blanks in graphite. Or even blended blanks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:27 am

Mattman wrote:So...why glass?

Today's graphite crankbait tapers really mimic glass well. And they are truely light in comparison.

Some guys love glass. Bless their hearts. Personally, I can't stand it. Its heavy, its sluggish, it has no feel...

If you love glass and want a light glass blank, then so be it. But if you want to cut weight and are really only looking to keep the taper, look at dedicated crankbait blanks in graphite. Or even blended blanks.
That may be what i end up doing. I was just wanting to see if anybody knew of some lighter weight blanks.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:45 am

gotta go with matt on this one as well. there is really no reason to go with glass rods for cranking... they can be easily duplicated with a nice graphite rod that weighs much less.

the seeker BS706 was the last glass rod i built on and that was pushing 6 years ago! i still have some tcs-17 reel seats kicking around that i bought for them

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 am

If you want light glass, look for some of the old Lamiglass honey colored blanks. I have in my notes that the 7' medium weighed 2.2 ozs which is the lightest I ever found. But, don't step on them because they aren't the most durable.

I'll add that I agree with Matt and would suggest you look at graphite. You'll easily save an ounce over even the lightest glass blanks. The increased sensitivity is just an added bonus. It sure makes it easy to fill you bait tipping the grass.

Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Feedingseagulls » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 am

Vince Borges wrote:The Phenix XG1-G700 7' glass blank weighs in at about 2.7 oz I would imagine someone could build it out under or close to 4 oz! Retail on the blank is about $70.00!

http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=23
This sounds like an interesting project - and as I have a shipment of rods coming over from Louisiana soon I might well build a custom cranking rod - and I've been meaning to try a lighter Phenix blank than my swimbait monster.

However, I might go for the composite instead of the glass - how 'glass-like' is the composite action?

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 am

robertrinaustin wrote: But, don't step on them because they aren't the most durable.
You mean that's Lamiglas fiberglass blank (Honey Color) is not durable? It's more durable a graphite blank as the fiberglass blank?
Until next time....Tight Lines!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 am

The reason some prefer glass over graphite for cranking is because the damping of a glass rod helps keep a bass hooked. Damping is basically the same thing as weight. It makes the blank softer and gentler. So glass, by it's very nature, is heavy.

Think about it... if there was such a thing as a light glass rod, graphite rods would never have been invented... there would be no advantage.

There is no such thing as a light-weight glass blank.

The best you can do to save weight is build it with the lightest components and techniques.