Just a Heads up.. Mudhole

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a Heads up.. Mudhole

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:04 am

I ordered some cork filler for some minor repairs on some rods. Their website clearing shows "Cork Filler" as the product when searched.

Order a tube..$6.95 +$6.95 shipping. I want cork filler..cannot buy it locally.

Arrives today..Elmers Wood filler Golden oak. Call them to complain..told them had I known this was the product I was getting, I'd have gone to Lowes or Home Depot and paid $5 w/ no shipping. No offer to refund shipping or make it right. Was told Cork is a wood and it will work.....NOT THE POINT!!!!

What about the website showing a product that they do not sell or ship. Told they would pass the info along. :evil:

Just a heads up to those that deal with them. What ya see isn't always what ya get. Not very accommodating to customers with a valid complaint.
Last edited by Cal on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin found it important enough info to keep at the top of the forum
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Just a Heads up.. Mudhole

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 am

That's unbelievable USA-RET, I almost ordered some this week from Mudhole! I feel for ya - at least it
wasn't a high dollar item. I know it's not the money as much as you're the customer and you just wanted
a refund. :evil:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:19 am

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I've had several nearly identical situations.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:22 am

Same thing here 2 years ago when I started, they do have a nice picture of a elmers cork filler, and that's what I expected when I ordered. So after I got my golden oak filler, I went to lowes to look for cork filler....I don't even use the stuff anymore to be honest, I feel that by doing that I'm hiding something that shouldn't be hidden, and the stuff I'm working with now is better than most factory cork used.

Ordered this:
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... ork-Filler
Got this:
http://www.hardwareworld.com/325oz-Int- ... NHC4R.aspx
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com

Chetco
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Chetco » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:10 am

Check Rod Builder Mag. they have some real good links on help.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:57 am

I had no idea this existed. Does it work well? I might have to try it out.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:37 pm

The hell w/ Mudhole. they can kiss my ....mudhole

I recently put an order in for over $600. I decided that 1 of the blanks was not going to work for me and inquired about exchange. They were pretty quick to respond and said it would be much easier to return and then place another order after, separately. They hit me w/ a 10% restocking fee for the return. ](*,)

Now I understand it was not their fault that I ordered the "wrong" (BTW it was the 5S610MXF which is mislabeled IMHO) BUT when someone just spent that kind of $ on 1 order in this economy(not to mention the other orders this year) you'd think they'd be willing to work w/ you on these type matters.

I had to ask, "do you not exchange so you can get a restocking fee". I sent message saying I wanted to purchase a different blank but now I'll buy elsewhere.

So they got my 17 bucks but they lost the new blank order. How does that make sense?

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the bad expirences in dealing with Mudhole. I've had great service from them. I must have spent 2500$ there in the last year and cant complain about anything except they missd a product in my last order and with one email it was in my mailbox three days later (and hit had to get through customs).

Everyone is so quick to bash but no one talks about all the good orders that were problem free.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:56 pm

I buy from them occasionally but I try to avoid it. The shipping is nuts. They have basically become big enough that they don't need good service. I like how this gets bumped to the top by admin here but at a certain other site you'd be lucky not to get banned posting something like this lol.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:39 pm

5bites wrote:I like how this gets bumped to the top by admin here but at a certain other site you'd be lucky not to get banned posting something like this lol.

I agree. I don't know why it was made a sticky. Sounds personal to me.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 am

Bigs|ick wrote:
Everyone is so quick to bash but no one talks about all the good orders that were problem free.

I don't think anything would have been said if the OP would have been taken care of.

Everyone makes mistakes. Its a fact of life. How you handle them is the true measure of your quality.

This is beyond an order that has a mistake, its misrepresenting product and then taking the attitude that the customer is somehow responsible for that misrepresentation.

My go-to suppliers still make mistakes...the difference is they just fall all over themselves making them right when they happen.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 am

Bigs|ick wrote:
5bites wrote:I like how this gets bumped to the top by admin here but at a certain other site you'd be lucky not to get banned posting something like this lol.

I agree. I don't know why it was made a sticky. Sounds personal to me.
I actually meant that as praise for the admin here. On another site if they were brought up in a negative way the poster would have probably been banned just for letting people know what to expect.

The reason people don't talk about good orders so much is that is the retailers job. People shouldn't expect a cookie everytime they do what they are supposed to do. If I order something and get what I wanted and was satisfied with the service I'm glad but also that's what I expect to happen.

Like I said I do order from mudhole but if I can order elsewhere I will.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 am

As far as Mudhole goes... let's just say I prefer Utmost. I'll just leave it at that.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I have to say that this is the main reason that I haven't considered another MHX blank...some negatives down the grapevine.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

WoodsmenRods
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WoodsmenRods » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

Folks, I understand how the original poster feels. Having said that... I feel that it is poor taste for TT to sticky a thread that slams a vendor.

To the original poster - I agree, it was misleading. Point taken. Did you ask if you could return it? I pasted in the policy from the website at the bottom of this post. You knew you had to pay shipping, correct? The shipping charge is indicated on the checkout page. I heard on RBO that the MH filler was Elmers. So I ran downtown to buy some. It took three stores before I found it. Not always so easy. I probably burned $5 is gas. ;)

I see that MH now shows a picture of the cork filler, clearly identifying it as Elmers Wood Filler. So that's been fixed. Progress.

I have ordered from numerous vendors. One that is recommended by some on TT has given me fits! Forgot items, won't return emails and calls, etc. I just buy somewhere else - I don't take it online. Keep in mind that those are human beings working at these places. They have bad days, and they screw up. The trouble is, when they do, everyone on the internet forums hears about it. I would challenge you to find an online dealer with a nicer website and better inventory than MH, and no, I am not affiliated with them in any way.

FYI - I have returned two blanks that just didn't work out for me. Both were high dollar blanks. No restocking fee. I had one customer rod fail that was built on a MH blank. I sent several pictures. I received emails from two different MH staff people, and both of them apologized for my situation. They put a replacement in the mail that I received 4 days later - no charge of course.

If Mud Hole did not honor the policies on the website, then you have a valid complaint.

Chuck Mills
Woodsmen Rods

From Mud Hole site:
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

We personally guarantee that all the items we sell will meet with your personal satisfaction. If for any reason you are not fully satisfied with your purchase, please call us within seven day of receipt to receive a return merchandise authorization number (RMA) and return your products to us in their original condition and a full refund will be issued. Click here to learn more about requesting a return.

RETURN POLICY

If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the item to us within 30 days. Returns may be requested by emailing our returns department at returns@mudhole.com or by phone at (407) 447-7637. You will be provided with a return merchandise authorization (RMA) number and instructions for sending the product(s) back to us. Please have the Invoice number available. Please note the following:

Mud Hole Custom Tackle reserves its right to charge a 10% restocking fee on all returns.
To obtain the RMA number, please provide us with the invoice number and reason for the return.
Once you receive a return authorization you may return unused items in the original box with all accessories within 7 days for an exchange or refund.
Mud Hole Custom Tackle will not accept returned merchandise without a return authorization (RMA) number. This number must be posted in a conspicuous place on the outside of the package.
Merchandise must include a copy of your invoice or packing slip. Defective merchandise should be returned directly to the manufacturer under their return policy.
Shipping and handling is non-refundable.
Please allow up to 2 weeks for credit for returned items.
Shipping for returned merchandise must be prepaid by the customer
Books, videos and software sales are final.
Special orders may not be returned.

Damaged Packages - If the package was damaged in shipping refuse shipment or make sure the driver notes the damage on the delivery ticket. Save all original damaged packaging material and merchandise for the carrier to inspect.