Rod Blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod Blanks

Post by BB144 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, I've decided I "need" a custom rod. And not a crappy custom I threw together, lol. Knowing me, it'll quickly turn into a $500 rod, so my rod builder won't be starting until at least the beginning of the summer.

But what I'm trying to decide on now is what blank. I'm looking into NFC, Phenix, & St Croix. So what are some of your guys' favorite rod blanks in the $125-200 range? I'm open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks!
Last edited by BB144 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Rod Blanks

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am

Personally...I think you're viewing this wrong.

Personally...I think the question to be asked is what are you looking to do with your new rod?

Pick your favorite technique, a special trip you do every year and a certain rod always gets used there, a hole in your arsenal, a new technique you want to pick up this year, etc. Find the right blank for what you want to do. Who made it is really a secondary thing. NFC makes great blanks, but if they don't have what you need, big deal. The need is a bigger issue than the brand. NFC, Croix, Phenix, CTS, all make good blanks so you'll only go wrong if you pick a blank that isn't fitting of the job you need it to do.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 am

You make a good point. I haven't really though too much about what I'll be using it for. I guess I just got excited. It's funny cause I would never just go buy a rod off the shelf without contemplating for weeks what to use it for and what rods would be best for me for that technique.

My problem is, there aren't any holes in my arsenal that I'd want to spend $400-500 on a custom to fill, lol. Most of the rods I need are for techniques I don't fish a whole lot. I'd probably be better off going with something that can handle a wide variety of contact baits like lighter jigs (1/4oz), t-rigs, senkos, etc.

I'm thinking a Phenix 707MH would be great for throwing small jigs and would compliment my DX784CML that I use for heavier jigs. My one complain with NFC is there are a lot of good lengths and powers missing from their available blanks. I'd love something 7'3" but all they have in that length is Mag Heavy rods...
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 am

I always tell people looking for their first custom rod to build a rod for their favorite and most used technique. this gets the best rod in your hand for the longest time!

as for extending a rod a few inches, that is easily done!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 am

BB144 wrote: It's funny cause I would never just go buy a rod off the shelf without contemplating for weeks what to use it for and what rods would be best for me for that technique.
Exactly. Slow down and think it thru. Your builder can guide you thru that process.

BB144 wrote: My one complain with NFC is there are a lot of good lengths and powers missing from their available blanks.
I just got an email a day or two ago from my distributor with a pretty long list of new blanks that are just released. As I recall, some new longer models.

jimmyb wrote:I always tell people looking for their first custom rod to build a rod for their favorite and most used technique. this gets the best rod in your hand for the longest time!
Ditto.

jimmyb wrote: as for extending a rod a few inches, that is easily done!
Another ditto.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am

After buying several customs, I'll completely agree with Matt and Jimmy. Pick a use for it, decide what your priorities are and then go for a blank. There are so many decisions and details to work out with a builder. Here's a list...I may have left something out:

Blank selection - length, power, action, efficiency, weight...
a. Guides and guide wrap color(s)
b. Hook keeper style and location
c. Hook keeper wrap
d. Foregrip design and hood color
e. Reel seat type and color (if desired)
f. Trim rings around the seat
g. Type of grip, materials and lengths of grips
h. Handle decoration (if any) - trim rings, CF tubes, wraps, etc...
i. Handle length
j. Butt cap or treatment
k. Text on the rod

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for the info guys. I've talked with my builder and have already made most of my decisions (although I'm likely to change my mind a few times before I get the rod, lol). He's busy till sometime in May, which is fine with me cause I can't even afford to be thinking about a custom rod, let alone buying one right now.

I'm going to be building a rod to handle smaller 1/4oz jigs w/ a trailer, t-rigs, and mainly Senkos (so my Dobyns 733C can retire to mainly spinnerbait duties. The Phenix UMBX-707MH is on the top of my list right now, with a 7' MH North Fork IM blank extended to 7'3-7'4" being my second choice. I'm waiting to see what NFC is coming out with as well as the new Phenix blanks.

Does anyone have experience with the Phenix UMBX and NFC IM series of blanks? How do they compare to a Loomis IMX? GLX? Dobyns Champ? DX? How do they compare to the similarly price St. Croix blanks? or the Rainshadow RX8?
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures