paint and paint stripper recs. please

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: paint and paint stripper recs. please

Post by RGMatt » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Drewbass wrote:I just stripped a 5C70MHF and I used an aerosol paint stripper. The Matrix used in these rods is extremely chemical resistant. Paint stripper is not going to phase it. I used a plastic divider from a plano box as a scraper. After that I just wiped the residue of with acetone.

I only recommend stripping these blanks for those who have to have the very highest performing blank. The reason is because these blanks can be hideous when stripped. I guess that is why they paint them. This recent blank has quite a bit of fill spots and some uneven wrapped areas. The ART technique also leaves an irregular seam or overlap of the termination of the mats. This one will definitely be an ugly stick.
thanks for the heads up.

I ended up leaving the blank as is. Decided against the hassle of stripping and once I saw the eva grips on the blank I figured it didn't look that bad. I haven't seen too many of the forest green blanks w/ eva so I wasn't sure how'd it look.

plus not stripping keeps the warranty.

thanks for sharing the knowledge and experience fellas

Matt

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewbass » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:43 pm

I think you made the right decision. It sounds like you are very concerned about the ascetics. The weight savings for the MH was only 1.3g and most of the paint resides on the butt end. It does make the blank feel different, maybe more powerful for its weight, but I don't think it would be as noticeable on a finished rod.
RGMatt wrote:
thanks for the heads up.

I ended up leaving the blank as is. Decided against the hassle of stripping and once I saw the eva grips on the blank I figured it didn't look that bad. I haven't seen too many of the forest green blanks w/ eva so I wasn't sure how'd it look.

plus not stripping keeps the warranty.

thanks for sharing the knowledge and experience fellas

Matt

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 am

Drewbass wrote:I think you made the right decision. It sounds like you are very concerned about the ascetics. The weight savings for the MH was only 1.3g and most of the paint resides on the butt end. It does make the blank feel different, maybe more powerful for its weight, but I don't think it would be as noticeable on a finished rod.
Im' only really concerned in the winter when I'm snowed in. It's funny cause once it's on the boat I could care less as long as it fishes nice.

So IYO it's not worth stripping the Croix's more any significant performance gain?

"hideous when stripped"

I guess that's why all their blanks are painted.

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewbass » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:00 pm

If your a serious tournament angler it might be worth it. Although I know of many Elite series Pro's that fish production rods. Crappy production rods for that matter.

It makes a difference, but it might be more subtle if you were comparing to completed rods. IMO if your concerned about the warranty and the ascetics don't strip it. Definitely not worth the effort if your using low end or heavy components. My rods typically last about 24 months so I don't get that attached to them and I choose function over form.
RGMatt wrote:
Drewbass wrote:
So IYO it's not worth stripping the Croix's more any significant performance gain?

"hideous when stripped"

I guess that's why all their blanks are painted.

EFed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by EFed » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 am

RGMatt wrote:
EFed wrote:I have stripped plenty of rods with paint remover with no problems at all. Just remember it takes off everything it is not delicate stuff. I have never had any damage to a blank because of it.
Any specific brands that have worked well in the past for you.

Matt
Wow sorry for the super late reply been gona for a while. Maybe this can help in the future

I have stripped lamiglass blanks and i have stripped a rapala long cast model store bought rod with no problems at all, i believe the brand is klean Strip.

Eric

If anyone has had problems I would definitely like to hear about them

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:34 pm

better late than never :big grin:

JFYI I didn't strip or paint that SCV blank. I did end up stripping a kistler mag TS blank early this fall. I used citri strip and it worked pretty good. Next time I may let it sit on the blank alittle longer though. I took Mattmans advice and wrapped it in foil.

EFed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by EFed » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 pm

I believe the citrus stuff is more enviormental friendly, glad it worked out.

Eric