Big jig rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Big jig rod

Post by dv1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:52 am

I am looking at building a rod for heavy jigs. 1 oz with double skirts and large trailers. If any of you read Rich Zaleski's blog, I am thinking of his "big jig" presentation. Casting to deeper water and not punching/flipping. I want thinking about building on a Legend Elite 7-4 hf blank or just buying a factory rod this time around :shock: But, reading about the light tip on similar St. Croix models has me wondering if the tip would be too light since it sounds like these blanks are more designed around frogs than jigs.

I am open to other blanks, but I am partial to St. Croix rods, they have never let me down so far.

Thanks.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Big jig rod

Post by angry john » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 am

There was just a review of the new legend rods and i am considering one myself. I love croix and the new rods have all the bells and wistles

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:44 am

I don't have experience with that blank, but it looks like the specs are okay for your use. I wouldn't build one up until I got my hands on their production model because you might want something a little heavier as you say. The Dobyn's or Loomis 5 powered rods have a stiffer tip than the their 4 power rods that make them better for 3/4 oz. and up jigs, even though the lure weight falls within the 4 power specs. I use my 4 power Loomis blank rods for these heavier jigs on the rare occasions that I throw them, but the "mag heavy" 5 power rods are what you want if you are going to be throwing these heavier jigs more often.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 am

angry john wrote:There was just a review of the new legend rods and i am considering one myself. I love croix and the new rods have all the bells and wistles
They build a quality rod and I bet they will sell a lot of these because of what they offer at the pricepoint. I bet they would sell a lot more if they get rid of the extra threads and foregrip. The PTS seat is really comfortable with the standard nut and no threads exposed.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:52 am

Check out the 7'6" Medium Heavy St Croix rods. The all of the Legend Series have this rod. The specs fall in line with what you want in a deep jig rod. you could use braid or fluorocarbon with it.

I built a rod on the 5C76MHMF-G (blank from the rod above in the Legend Elite series). It works well for jigs and bottom contact baits. You could use it for just about anything besides finesse. It makes a good frog rod and pitching stick as well. I've mostly been punching with it this year and it has performed great.

dv1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dv1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:58 am

I saw a deal on a jackall poison adrena 7-4 heavy (7/16-1.5 oz) and ordered that to try for $250. Hopefully it will work out. Otherwise, I will need to order up a St. Croix. My wife wanted me to pick something out for my bday this week and went with Jackall.