Ultralight Tools and Hardware

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ultralight Tools and Hardware

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:38 am

I lost my Kahara micro split ring tweezers recently and I'm looking for a replacement. Does anyone here have any suggestions for split ring pliers for working with Ultralight lures and small split rings? Additionally I figured we could also use this thread to discuss things like replacement hooks, split rings and other hardware for smaller lures.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ultralight Tools and Hardware

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Texas Tackle 4 inch will do down to 0, it's the best I have found so far.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:54 pm

If you've got a Dremel and some old bathroom tweezers - bend the tips and shape to requirement.

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 am

Get yourself a pair of split ring tweezers. Far easier than any pliers and sized more suitably for finesse lure split rings.

Being from Australia these are readily available here, sure you can find something similar on Amazon or something.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/wilson-split-r ... lsrc=aw.ds

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:56 am

I bought a bunch of these over summer, they were 77 cents each at the time. They're nearly identical to the Smith Split Ring Pincette. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568046 ... pt=glo2usa

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:12 pm

I have a micro split ring pair of pliers I picked up from Barlow's. Janns netcraft will also have versions of split ring pliers.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:03 am

I have Xuron 496 split rings and work good so far.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:06 am

I have the Texas Tackle split ring pliers which I think are too large for the small split rings and I bought a pair of the Smith split ring tweezers and they are definitely better for the smaller split rings.

Here are the small Texas Tackle split ring pliers compared to the Smith Pincette split ring tweezers. I'm using the Smith's on a tiny Strike King Bitsy Minnow split ring. I doubt that the Texas Tackle pliers would even work on split rings this small and they've destroyed some that I have a little bit larger than these.