Any Experience With This Gomexus Carbon Handle?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Any Experience With This Gomexus Carbon Handle?

Post by Ghost » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:50 pm

Looking to upgrading this to a Conquest BFS 23 from the stock 80mm handle. This handle is 85mm and will be ordering from aliexpress.

I guess my concern are the reel knows. How are they to grip and will they last? Is the feel of the grips mushy or more firm?
Attachments
Screenshot_20231107_124710_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_124710_Chrome.jpg (18.81 KiB) Viewed 3404 times

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any Experience With This Gomexus Carbon Handle?

Post by Slazmo » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:46 pm

They're not as grippy as they make them out to believe.

I bought a handle with them (clear) and oil got inbetween the plastic inner form and the outer clear handle and looks like it's got this black blob inside.

They wouldn't even entertain the fact of returning it or refund on that basis even with pictures supplied.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:11 pm

From what I have seen and the two I own, the handle fitment and materials are solid and good quality, as are the screws and components... but their knobs aren't that great, IMO. Add that the posts aren't compatible with either Daiwa or Shimano knobs, for me, it really takes away the value of the overall product.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:33 am

I use the 95mm Gomexus carbon handles on all my Metaniums, Bantam and Aldebarans. But I bought the handle only and am using the stock knobs. Great quality product. If you get the Daiwa sized handle, it will go on Daiwa reels but will only accept Shimano knobs. That was a little disappointing. Seems like the Gomexus knobs are Shimano sized.
Attachments
IMG_8242.jpeg
IMG_8242.jpeg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:01 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:33 am
I use the 95mm Gomexus carbon handles on all my Metaniums, Bantam and Aldebarans. But I bought the handle only and am using the stock knobs. Great quality product. If you get the Daiwa sized handle, it will go on Daiwa reels but will only accept Shimano knobs. That was a little disappointing. Seems like the Gomexus knobs are Shimano sized.
Wow, that still works for me, I like Shimano knobs as well. Did you have to use any extra shims or washers, or double up on a bearing?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:01 am

Nope, standard configuration for Shimano knobs.

I have however found pictures of an older version of those handles that appear to have Daiwa shaped knob axles. But the handles I’ve bought within the last year have all had the Shimano style. Maybe it’s this old generation thats got odd dimensions.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:04 am

Thanks Dennis,

I think both of mine are rather current renditions, I'll have to take off the factory knobs and try on both Daiwa and Shimano knobs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:29 am

Aren't Daiwa and Shimano knobs the same? Only a 0.5 mm different in post length with the same diameter? I've seen Daiwa RCS knobs on Shimanos going back years and more recently Shimano power knobs on modern Daiwas replacing the modern thin ick knobs.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:14 pm

The axles are almost the same length but this… shoulder? What would you call it in English? Where the bottom bearing rests on is longer. So the bearings are further apart inside the Daiwa knob. The Daiwa knob only slides on the Shimano handle far enough to support the upper bearing if you leave out the bottom bearing and live with more wiggle and play. As seen in the picture for a Shimano-sized Gomexus knob on a Daiwa handle you can just add another bearing or bushing so the knob doesn’t slide down too much.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:12 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:29 am
Aren't Daiwa and Shimano knobs the same? Only a 0.5 mm different in post length with the same diameter? I've seen Daiwa RCS knobs on Shimanos going back years and more recently Shimano power knobs on modern Daiwas replacing the modern thin ick knobs.
Yes, Daiwa posts are longer, so 2 bearings or a bushing and a bearing at the bottom of the knob is what's required for Daiwa knobs to fit.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.