22 Aldebaran bfs vs 23 Conquest bfs

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

22 Aldebaran bfs vs 23 Conquest bfs

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:30 am

For those who have used both the 22 Aldebaran bfs and the 23 Conquest bfs is one or the other easier to cast?

Disclaimer, I have both but I just didn’t get enough time with them this summer to make a determination. Herd thinning is on the hozizon and I’d like to keep the best performer.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 22 Aldebaran bfs vs 23 Conquest bfs

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:04 pm

Conquest is "easier" to cast. The Aldebaran requires more braking but, both cast great. The Conquest sweet spot is around 44-55% of brakes, the Aldebaran being closed to 75-80%
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:37 am

How do you guys find the added weight and bulkiness I round aluminum framed reel when using the Conquest after fishing with the featherweight Aldebaran?

I used round reels (Calcutta 50b) back in the day, but it’s been years since I’ve fished with a round reel. Have been considering the Conquest since it’s release

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:50 am

I haven’t used my Conquest enough to answer this completely, but in general, to me, a round reel is just a different experience. They may cast identical, I don’t know yet, but the real difference is in having that hunk of round metal in your hand, which I like. I am a traditionalist and I like things like round reels and side-by-side shotguns for my upland bird hunting. If you liked your old Calcutta B I think you’ll love this new Conquest BFS.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Post by Lastworm » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:51 pm

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Conquest, but the lightness of the Aldebaran convinced me to get another, this time in the HG ratio. (I have issues)

I usually have the brakes at about 4.5 when casting 3.5-6g lures, but I’m not a violent caster and prefer a low effort flick, my casts are also short distance usually 10-15metres. Besides the performance, the weight of the reel is the main reason I’ve never considered the Daiwa options.

Boring having another of the same reel, but I just can’t fault it.