Why Are (Most) BFS Rods Are 2 Piece Rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Why Are (Most) BFS Rods Are 2 Piece Rods?

Post by Ghost » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:28 pm

Most BFS rods are 2 piece and some are 3 piece rods, why? I know some are 1 piece rods like the Phenix Classic BFS and Dobyns Ultra Finesse Sierra rods.

I do prefer 1 piece rods, cuz I feel that the rod has better sensitivity than multiple piece rods. Case in point, I do own a couple of the Phenix Classic BFS rods in 6'8" and 7"1". Even the smallest crankbait, like the Rapala Countdown CD1 which is 1/16oz; I can feel the vibration of the lure quite well. Most times I use straight 10 or 15lb braid, but during trout season I will use 4lb Izorline XXX copoly line. I have to say that on some of the 2 piece BFS rods I own, I can feel the vibration too, but not quite as sensitive as as a 1 piece.

Are multi piece BFS rods more so for transportation or is it a JDM thing?

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Why Are (Most) BFS Rods Are 2 Piece Rods?

Post by zalan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:41 am

I think it is both. I feel like US is the only place where people prefer 1 piece rods. One piece rods are preferred when you have a nice boat with rod locker and the transportation is not an issue. Most people do not have that imho.

Also BFS is coming from trout fishing and the multi piece setup is the standard for lures and flies as well there.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Why Are (Most) BFS Rods Are 2 Piece Rods?

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:03 am

Are we talking Bass BFS or Stream (trout) rods?

Talking bass rods - from the top of my head I can only name 2 piece BFS rods that are also available in 1 Piece (Shimano Zodias, Expride, Adrena), but none that’s only available 2 piece.
All other Japanese models I know of are single piece only (Glorious, Ultima, Tailwalk Fullrange, discontinued Major Craft MSX & Day’s, Steez, Megabass P5, Evergreen Keleido & Orion, Legit Design Wild Side, Palms Molla). Ok there’s the Daiwa Black Label which is grip joint only.

And for the two piece, while I haven’t had an identical model in 2 vs 1 piece side by side, I never felt like a center cut would decrease sensitivity. The 2 piece rods I own and fished, for example Graphiteleader Silverado are amongst the most sensitive light application rods I’ve handled. I can feel a 2” Keitech easy shiner kick where other single piece rods don’t transmit anything.