Calcutta Conquest BFS 2023 experiences so far?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
2por
Angler
Angler

Calcutta Conquest BFS 2023 experiences so far?

Post by 2por » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:59 pm

In my experience, Shimano reels don't have the same "feel" on the retrieve as Daiwa reels for whatever reason, and I have had some that got "geary" feeling very quickly, which was noticeable under some pressure like reeling cranks or with a fish on. I was thinking about grabbing a CCBFS as a treat for myself, but I'm just a bit skeptical based on past experiences. Now that the CCBFS has been out for a good minute, how has the reel/gears been holding up? I'm curious about everyone's experience so far, although maybe I'm asking too soon.

Also, I've been looking but haven't found a video that extensively uses the CCBFS with flip casting. I use flip casting anywhere between 60% and 90% of the time I'm on the stream. I'm bringing this up because I saw comments floating around about how the CCBFS and Aldebaran BFS brakes were finicky. Is there any truth to this, or was it likely just user error? Does the CCBFS require brake adjustments when changing between short flip casts and long range side arm casts? Or when changing lures? For reference, I only use minnow style lures (lowest weight 2.5g and highest weight 4.5g)

My current setup is a Silver Creek Air TW Stream Custom with roro spool (stock spool was causing light lures to hang too much on short flip casts). With the roro spool, I just set the reel to one setting, and I can cover everything I need to do on a stream all day regardless of lure or casting style, so I'm a bit spoiled.

However, as an enthusiast (lol), I would love to add a CCBFS to the arsenal so any information would be appreciated.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calcutta Conquest BFS 2023 experiences so far?

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:26 pm

I would assume for smoothness the Conquest tops the Aldebaran BFS, even though they share gears and more than a few other components. My Aldebaran had an odd feel to it initially, but it has really smoothed out recently. I wish at times I would have just gotten the Conquest but am satisfied with the Aldebaran and it balances really well. I got mine for a heck of a deal though, and have fished it pretty hard, and it only made it feel better over time (so far). I know I didn't give you the exact answer, but again, the Conquest BFS shares gears so it should hold up great. Same gears in a super precision all aluminum housing should be a benefit.

Concerning flip casting, I am not so sure about that. I run mine Aldebaran at high 4 setting to almost a 6 on the dial and it is VERY fast. I run straight 7lb fluorocarbon and throwing a 3.5g head with a 2" Easy Shiner feels like a rattle trap bombing. Flip and short roll casts can be done, but that is where by far I have had the most fluff/overruns.

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:43 pm

This won't directly answer your question either. All of my Shimano reels have developed a little buzz/geary sound or feel. Literally all of them. that includes SLX, Curado MGL 70, Aldebaren BFS(prior gen), Scorpion 150 MGL, Scorpion BFS, and Conquest BFS(prior gen). The Scorpion MGL 150 and Conquest BFS have the most minimal buzz, but it's still there, and I don't like it. All the reels still perform just fine and the geary sound and feel is minimal. Most of Daiwa's don't have it. My Tatula 200 has just a little bit of it, but that reel gets abused with beast hook swimbaits.

If I could, I'd switch all of my Shimanos with Daiwa except for the Scorpions and the Conquest. I still love them. ](*,)

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:49 pm

23 Conquest has been nice so far! I’ve fished it a lot since picking it up, and I was pretty abusive getting it muddy this spring white bass fishing. It’s still flawless, and the build quality exceeds the 17 conquest bfs in my eyes.

I flip cast a lot and you can 100% switch from flip casts to long casts without adjusting anything. That said, unlike my Daiwas, you do need to make slight brake adjustments when switching between lures. You can thumb your way between 1g differences, but more than that you need to adjust the brake by a click or two.

I also just picked up the avail spool and it’s been fantastic in my first two outings, but i dunno if it’s needed for 2.5g+ lures. The stock spool is more than ready for that out of the box, but the next time I’m out fishing I’ll use the stock spool to see what hanging is like on short casts.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 am

Does the 23 Conquest BFS have the same ultra tiny teeth like the one before? They would be the same size as the ones in my 19 Antares 70 A and that’s my only general use Shimano that didn’t develop any annoying buzz, even after 3 years. Just a tiny bit of a connected „yup it does have gears in it“ feeling. (Don’t own any conquests)

I have a 16 Aldebaran BFS that’s dedicated to stream use and this one also has no buzz, for me it’s really a matter of how many snags I pull and how much heavy load is on the gears. The general use Aldebaran - different outcome, buzzy.

So I wouldn’t assume the Conquest would get buzzy In your scenario of use.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 am
Does the 23 Conquest BFS have the same ultra tiny teeth like the one before? They would be the same size as the ones in my 19 Antares 70 A and that’s my only general use Shimano that didn’t develop any annoying buzz, even after 3 years. Just a tiny bit of a connected „yup it does have gears in it“ feeling. (Don’t own any conquests)

I have a 16 Aldebaran BFS that’s dedicated to stream use and this one also has no buzz, for me it’s really a matter of how many snags I pull and how much heavy load is on the gears. The general use Aldebaran - different outcome, buzzy.

So I wouldn’t assume the Conquest would get buzzy In your scenario of use.
No, it doesn't. That is one of the things that spooked me. My Conquest 100HG (2021 version) has the same gears as the Antares you mention, at least the same main gear I think. This Conquest also has Infinity Drive, which the Conquest BFS version doesn't. It is literally the Aldebaran BFS drivetrain housed in a Conquest body, albeit with some extra bearings and better tolerances here and there. That is why I decided not to get one (even though the new CQ BFS seems to be an awesome reel), I will keep the Aldebaran for BFS duty and just buy a second 100HG which is an absolute do it all tank of a bass reel.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:36 pm

I found no difference in use of 23 CC BFS XG and 22 Aldebaran BFS XG. Aesthetically, CC BFS wins hands down. I personally found 19 Antares to be better in use than either of the BFS reels and was a bit surprised, but that might just be normal, those with more extensive experience may be able to comment.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:05 am

My CC23 has been doing quite well. I was throwing a small beetle-spin with it and my glass progressive at a school of big bluegills under a railroad bridge on the Mississippi River the other day. It was great until one of my casts found a bridge support and blew up the spool. 🙇‍♂️ Need to put new line on now that I think about it. I haven’t used it enough to really get a firm opinion. Hoping I end up liking it as much as my Alde 22’s.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

2por
Angler
Angler

Post by 2por » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:19 am

Thanks for the info so far! Seems like my Shimano experiences are similar to some others. Although, I’d have to say that my experience was all with bass fishing, and I generally fish my bass gear pretty hard. The CCBFS would be for trout use only, so I’m not sure if the same problem would follow over from bass to trout.

Seems like the 23 CCBFS and 22 Alde BFS both have super fast spools. I guess that’s where the “finicky” brake comments stem from. However, that sounds like more of a positive than a negative for me since it’s easier to slow down a spool with brakes/tension/thumbing than to make a spool faster in regards to light lures. Going to keep combing YouTube and online forums for more info.