Which bfs reel for skipping 4” senko?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Which bfs reel for skipping 4” senko?

Post by Okie2 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:55 am

I’m setting up a rig specifically to skip the 4” yamamoto senko weightless around docks & under cables (dock filled lake). Will be using an older GLoomis IMX 721 as I like shorter rods for skipping out of my boat and a reel loaded with 8lb Sniper flouro. My question is which of the following reels that I have available would be most suitable for those short casts & skips…that will behave itself. I have the following available:22Alde bfs, alde mgl50, Kastking Kestrel Elite & their Zepher, Lews Custom Lite (not the new bfs version), Lews SP (their full sized skipping reel), Dark Wolf, or Diawa SV105. I also have the Daiwa Silver Creek Custom that is already my topwater skipping reel…so good but don’t want to buy another one. Where would you guys start? Thanks, Scott

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which bfs reel for skipping 4” senko?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:32 pm

I have the SV105 and the 22 Aldebaran BFS. I have to run the Aldebaran higher braked, even with a heavier finesse lure (like a 4" Senko). For me the old SV105 has great brakes for skipping and still serves well with lighter line. I run mine with about 65% old braid backing and 35% mainline, makes for an excellent casting/skipping reel.

I push reels closer to their light lure limit, so for me a BFS reel would be overkill for the 4" Senko.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:05 am

I would go with the Aldebaran, it’s the best casting BFS reel out there, just my 2 cents….

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:19 pm

John2204 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:05 am
I would go with the Aldebaran, it’s the best casting BFS reel out there, just my 2 cents….
...but not the best skipping reel. Centrifugal brakes are never as easy to skip with as a mag brake reel.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:19 pm
John2204 wrote:
...but not the best skipping reel. Centrifugal brakes are never as easy to skip with as a mag brake reel.
Why?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:39 pm

Daiwa SS AIR TW. I have been skipping weightless plastics a TON lately. Definitely catching fish I wouldn't have otherwise.

I been skipping a 1/10oz Trokar Ned jig with a 3" Zman TRD. The beefier hook help yank fish out of cover. Dobyns Sierra Series 701c with that lure combo is deadly.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Okie2 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:31 am

I ended up using the Kestrels as I had a couple come in from Aliexp. Worked out pretty well…not as good as the Daiwa Silver Creek but certainly good enough. Put to use this weekend & managed a bunch of sub 2 pound bass. The big winner was throwing topwaters around breakwaters. Bass just munched the Zman Razr Shad (plastic topwater chugger) on a Megabass Popx with that Daiwa. Sure was fun…bass were po’d & fighting hangry!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:42 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
John2204 wrote:
Why?
Not sure, tbh, just my experience. Look at Shimano's true bfs reels. They are alll magnetic braking. Even some of the aftermarket spools for Shimano reels come with a kit to change the reel over to mag braking.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:42 am
mark poulson wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
John2204 wrote:
Why?
Not sure, tbh, just my experience. Look at Shimano's true bfs reels. They are alll magnetic braking. Even some of the aftermarket spools for Shimano reels come with a kit to change the reel over to mag braking.
I will say the newer Shimano BFS reels are good for skipping too. Even the Curado BFS is a beast
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:03 pm

The Shimano FTB is magnetic, not centrifugal. That is the same braking system on the Curado BFS.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:24 am

Okie2 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:55 am
I’m setting up a rig specifically to skip the 4” yamamoto senko weightless around docks & under cables (dock filled lake). Will be using an older GLoomis IMX 721 as I like shorter rods for skipping out of my boat and a reel loaded with 8lb Sniper flouro. My question is which of the following reels that I have available would be most suitable for those short casts & skips…that will behave itself. I have the following available:22Alde bfs, alde mgl50, Kastking Kestrel Elite & their Zepher, Lews Custom Lite (not the new bfs version), Lews SP (their full sized skipping reel), Dark Wolf, or Diawa SV105. I also have the Daiwa Silver Creek Custom that is already my topwater skipping reel…so good but don’t want to buy another one. Where would you guys start? Thanks, Scott
SV 105 Alphas SV. It's what I use to skip baits like that on 10# fluorocarbon. I have no complaints about the performance.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:30 am

mark poulson wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
John2204 wrote:
Why?
A skipping bait will typically rapidly decelerate and free casting nature of centrifugal brake that produce little braking at low spool speeds is not a good pairing. The reel stops doing any meaningful braking at the spool speeds you are skipping the bait. If the bait does anything other than a perfect high speed skip your spool is going to overrun. You'll frequently find yourself making a skip but it's a slow and clumsy one and then find a bird nest on your spool. Reels with excellent low speed control do well with skipping baits. SV spools in particular can meter out the right amount of line to allow to skip anything as well or as poorly as you want.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:30 am
mark poulson wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
John2204 wrote:
Why?
A skipping bait will typically rapidly decelerate and free casting nature of centrifugal brake that produce little braking at low spool speeds is not a good pairing. The reel stops doing any meaningful braking at the spool speeds you are skipping the bait. If the bait does anything other than a perfect high speed skip your spool is going to overrun. You'll frequently find yourself making a skip but it's a slow and clumsy one and then find a bird nest on your spool. Reels with excellent low speed control do well with skipping baits. SV spools in particular can meter out the right amount of line to allow to skip anything as well or as poorly as you want.
That makes sense to me. Thank you.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:48 pm

Another vote for the SS Air TW. The tweaks they made to it over the recent Air models has made it a skipping machine. No overhanging tree has been safe this summer.

Okie2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Okie2 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:37 pm

slimjim1135 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:48 pm
Another vote for the SS Air TW. The tweaks they made to it over the recent Air models has made it a skipping machine. No overhanging tree has been safe this summer.
If only I could find the 2023 righty in stock from jdm.