Shimano BFS oil

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano BFS oil

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:10 pm

Thanks. But I already have TSI 321. Now I only have alcohol problem :D
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=45
And issue of it is our regime in Finland, which is scared of that somebody drinks too strong alcohol and gets too high :D

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:46 pm

John G wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:43 am
Lastworm wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:00 am
Thanks mate, will look into the TSI oil.

Good to see there are other Aussie BFS tackle junkies out there!
TSI 321 is a lubricant and TSI 320 is a solvent. You want the lubricant.

I was using TSI 321 on worm gears and I thought that it was maybe a little bit too thin for that application so I started using Bantam Oil.

Not sure if my thinking is correct on that but that is what I am doing now.

Edit - I just Googled TSI 320 and I didn't get any results. Am I imagining this or is anyone else ever heard of it? I seem to remember on these forums years ago people were saying to always use the 321 because it is a lubricant and the 320 is a solvent but now I can't even find it online
It's TSI 301.. 301 is basically 321 + solvent.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:56 am

antonv wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:46 pm
John G wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:43 am
Lastworm wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:00 am
Thanks mate, will look into the TSI oil.

Good to see there are other Aussie BFS tackle junkies out there!
TSI 321 is a lubricant and TSI 320 is a solvent. You want the lubricant.

I was using TSI 321 on worm gears and I thought that it was maybe a little bit too thin for that application so I started using Bantam Oil.

Not sure if my thinking is correct on that but that is what I am doing now.

Edit - I just Googled TSI 320 and I didn't get any results. Am I imagining this or is anyone else ever heard of it? I seem to remember on these forums years ago people were saying to always use the 321 because it is a lubricant and the 320 is a solvent but now I can't even find it online
It's TSI 301.. 301 is basically 321 + solvent.
Thank you

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am

Keep in mind TSI 321 is a thin film lube, it shouldn't be applied like oil. Mix 1 part TSI to 6 parts alcohol, shake well, dip your bearings, and spin them dry. This essentially makes it function like 301 but without the solvent. The alcohol just functions as a carrier. While it can be applied like oil, it doesn't apply as evenly as it does when mixed with a carrying agent.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:46 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:26 am
Keep in mind TSI 321 is a thin film lube, it shouldn't be applied like oil. Mix 1 part TSI to 6 parts alcohol, shake well, dip your bearings, and spin them dry. This essentially makes it function like 301 but without the solvent. The alcohol just functions as a carrier. While it can be applied like oil, it doesn't apply as evenly as it does when mixed with a carrying agent.
I'm not saying that you are wrong but I have never read (or don't remember reading) this about TSI321. What I remember is everybody saying that they soak their bearings
in the TSI321 and then spin them dry. I never assumed or remember reading that they are using diluted TSI321. Like I said in an earlier post, I was putting it on my worm gears and I stopped doing it because I don't think it's thick enough. I am now using Bantam Oil. I'll dig out my bottle of TSI321 and see what it says in the next day or so.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:57 pm

John G wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:46 pm
I'm not saying that you are wrong but I have never read (or don't remember reading) this about TSI321. What I remember is everybody saying that they soak their bearings
in the TSI321 and then spin them dry. I never assumed or remember reading that they are using diluted TSI321. Like I said in an earlier post, I was putting it on my worm gears and I stopped doing it because I don't think it's thick enough. I am now using Bantam Oil. I'll dig out my bottle of TSI321 and see what it says in the next day or so.
TSI is a pretty amazing lubricant. What it does is bond to the metal surfaces filling in the microscopic pores. A little goes a very, very long way. It was developed for NASA to lubricate hard drive platters of vehicles and instruments going into space. These instruments go into space for years and have to function perfectly in an environment with temperature extremes that will bring many other materials and lubricants to their knees. If something is treated with TSI, it will still be present even if the treated surface looks dry. It will last on a worm gear for a very long time.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:22 pm

tincanary wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:57 pm
John G wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:46 pm
TSI is a pretty amazing lubricant. What it does is bond to the metal surfaces filling in the microscopic pores. A little goes a very, very long way. It was developed for NASA to lubricate hard drive platters of vehicles and instruments going into space. These instruments go into space for years and have to function perfectly in an environment with temperature extremes that will bring many other materials and lubricants to their knees. If something is treated with TSI, it will still be present even if the treated surface looks dry. It will last on a worm gear for a very long time.
Will it work on the main and pinion gears of a baitcaster?

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Sun May 14, 2023 5:45 pm

Best to stick with grease on the pinion and main gear

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 am

antonv wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:45 pm
Best to stick with grease on the pinion and main gear
Thanks.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon May 15, 2023 4:06 pm

I was searching posts about Ambassadeurs a while back and I read where tincanary said that he is using Yamaha 80W90 Gear Oil on worm gears and how it really sticks to them and a plus is that it is also a marine gear oil so it's waterproof. I bought a quart and I have to say that he is 100% correct because it sticks like glue to the worm gears. I've started using it on my old Shimano Bantam's.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 18, 2023 7:41 pm

John G wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:06 pm
I was searching posts about Ambassadeurs a while back and I read where tincanary said that he is using Yamaha 80W90 Gear Oil on worm gears and how it really sticks to them and a plus is that it is also a marine gear oil so it's waterproof. I bought a quart and I have to say that he is 100% correct because it sticks like glue to the worm gears. I've started using it on my old Shimano Bantam's.

Wow John, you have your OG Bantams dolled up friggin' something schuuuweeet!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon May 22, 2023 10:00 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:41 pm
John G wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:06 pm

Wow John, you have your OG Bantams dolled up friggin' something schuuuweeet!
Thank you Van

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 pm

That Yamaha might work well for worm gear. But why it would be any better than worm gear grease?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:03 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:59 pm
That Yamaha might work well for worm gear. But why it would be any better than worm gear grease?
It probably doesn't gunk up as much as grease, which tends to grab into fine particles more, while still requiring less of an amount in application, and thusly lower friction on retrieve. Also if it adheres to the metal based upon the molecular properties, then it also has an advantage over typical gear grease in that a smaller amount can be applied.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."