Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

Post by slipperybob » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:27 am

MK49 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:33 pm
slipperybob wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:35 pm
If you ever had to mount a baitcasting reel on a light power spinning rod, cuz that's the rod you need to get the job done. Then of course BFS is worth it. :big grin: I still bring the spinning reel for back up.

Honestly I don't need a trigger handle. Maybe just an ergonomic knob on the bottom. In the application for ice fishing, that trigger is actually in the way of mitts or gloves. I chopped the trigger off and the rods performs better. \:D/
Interesting. I don't like spinning tackle, so I've never thought about using a spinning rod with a baitcasting reel. I've bought about 100 baitcasting rods over the years, but only 5 or 6 spinning rods. I think it would be very uncomfortable using a spinning rod with a baitcaster, though. I guess it's just a matter of getting used it, but more than 95% of the time in the last 40+ years, I used baitcasters, so I got used them for sure. :lol:
I do it just to get funny looks from people at first. One thing about fishing rods is that back when I was just a spinning rod guy, I'd always wished there was some decent heavy power fishing rods for spinning that wasn't just all slow moderate glass type of rods. Since Cabelas was about the only one who made available a graphite spinning rod in heavy power, that 7' H rod has become my all around favorite use.

Then as I got more into using bait casting rods. I'd wish there was a light powered baitcasting rod. Again pretty much no one had one, except for junior type rods of 5'6" and below typically with that pistol grip really designed for Zebco33 classic. I had that one as a kid. Can't really ask for much on a $15-20 child rod. When the Shimano Chronarch 50mg came out. I had orginally had that on a St. Croix Legend 6' M casting rod. Like how that worked but always desired to get a light powered rod for it. I can do it with a M power rod but always desired the missing connection of a lighter powered rod. Decided to try it out on the St. Croix 6' Premiere L spinning rod and found out by chance that it worked so well. Just kept it as sort of a whenever I felt like using light stuff. Of course the spinning reel seat was with uncertainties and always felt like I was gonna toss the rod into the drink. So after years and finally got comfortable with a the palming the reel and casting palmed. It's worked out so well, I just stay comfortably quiet about it.

Now with BFS Light powered casting rods available. Just waiting to pull the trigger on a few of them. Currently have a few Phenix L powered casting rods - not BFS.

Ultra MBX Classic 6'6"
MBX 7'
Feather 7'1"

The MBX are a little bit heavy and too powerful for L application. The Feather is just flimsy and no enjoyment for me.

Also Diawa has that travel rod that has dual function reel seat for either spinning or casting reel.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Honest opinions...is BFS really worth trying?

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:38 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:27 am
Again pretty much no one had one, except for junior type rods of 5'6" and below typically with that pistol grip really designed for Zebco33 classic. I had that one as a kid. Can't really ask for much on a $15-20 child rod.
I call them Mickey Mouse rods or combos, because they usually have those cartoon characters on them. They look like 4' long. I have seen twice, when 7 ~ 9 years old kids with Mickey Mouse rods out fished other anglers. That's when I realize the fishing is amazing in a way. They could cast only 10 yards or less, and they caught more fish than other people around the same area. What a surprise! But, it really happens, at least twice in front of me. :lol: Something just worked out for the kids at the particular time. I'm not talking about a kid catching a couple of fish. Those Mickey Mouse kids caught at least 6 or 7 fish in 20min or so, while nobody else caught fish, as far as I could see. That makes fishing fun for sure. :D