Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:30 am

What fiberglass BFS rods are you using for trout fishing? I am curious to what people are using or, plan to use.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fiberglass BFS Trout Rods

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:22 am

I use NTY Windshadow if long casts are not needed. It's really slow action, like a rubber hose. I have solid 110 cm blank to build a rod during this winter. I'm pretty sure that this is same blank as in LEYDUN Micro UL or AIOUSHi. That's really fast action / truly backbone as such light action rod.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 pm

I have 3 custom made fiberglass rods - 2 by Resilure in the UK and 1 by a norwegian rod builder.
The Resilure rods are around 6’ and the other rod is a bit longer.

I highly recommend Resilure.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Just diving into the bfs trout arena (both feet). I opted for a Boron Paragon, but if you watch "enjoy fishing" he primarily uses the fiberglass version. No opinion on it yet as it has not arrived yet.

http://www.anglo.jp/

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:47 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 pm
Just diving into the bfs trout arena (both feet). I opted for a Boron Paragon, but if you watch "enjoy fishing" he primarily uses the fiberglass version. No opinion on it yet as it has not arrived yet.

http://www.anglo.jp/
That's pretty good luck to be able to get one of those rods. They seem to be a very limited production.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:34 am

Major Craft Finetail Glass 4'10"

Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive 5'1"

I'm also going to roll my own from a McFarland Ameriglass blank. They primarily manufacture fly rod blanks, but also spinning and casting. They are out of West Virginia and make their blanks on site. Shane Gray of Gray Wolf Customs (local to us in MI) uses them and people gush about the quality. Shane usually has fly rods listed on his site but also the occasional BFS rod, and will build whatever you want.

https://www.graywolfrods.com/home

https://www.facebook.com/graywolfrods

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:15 am

Major Craft Finetail Glass 4'10" UL paired with a Silver Creek TW Stream Custom

Major Craft Finetail 6' L paired with a Alphas Air TW

Got a chance to fish both rods for trout in steams and small rivers this past spring and really enjoyed both setups. Mostly throwing 4-4.5 gram minnow lures. Both are excellent, but if I could only have one it would be the 4'10" Glass as it is more versatile and very capable for 3-5 gram lures IMO.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:17 am

Sorry, just to clarify the Finetail 6' L is not a glass rod, prob shouldn't have included that in my post.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:04 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:34 am

I'm also going to roll my own from a McFarland Ameriglass blank. They primarily manufacture fly rod blanks, but also spinning and casting. They are out of West Virginia and make their blanks on site. Shane Gray of Gray Wolf Customs (local to us in MI) uses them and people gush about the quality. Shane usually has fly rods listed on his site but also the occasional BFS rod, and will build whatever you want.

How would you compare the Major Craft and the Glass Progressive? I'm considering the Major Craft Finetail Glass but, afraid it may be redundant with the 51L Glass Progressive.

Graywolf are pretty decent rods. I tested a few for Shane and they all were pretty nice. The londer ones were a little odd to use but, the rods around the 5ft range were really nice. Crisp glass and responsive.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:04 pm
tincanary wrote:

How would you compare the Major Craft and the Glass Progressive? I'm considering the Major Craft Finetail Glass but, afraid it may be redundant with the 51L Glass Progressive.

Graywolf are pretty decent rods. I tested a few for Shane and they all were pretty nice. The londer ones were a little odd to use but, the rods around the 5ft range were really nice. Crisp glass and responsive.
The Finetail is both a heavier rod and slower action. On my scale, the Finetail comes in at 3.3 oz while the Glass Progressive comes in at 2.6 oz. This may be due to the Glass Progressive being 1/3 carbon while the Finetail is full glass. The Finetail does best the Glass Progressive at throwing sub 3g baits, but when it comes to bringing a bigger rainbow or brown under control, the Glass Progressive has the upper hand since it has more backbone. I think since you're fishing mostly brookies, the Finetail would probably give you a better experience than the Glass Progressive. It's those 15"+ fish where the backbone of the Glass Progressive really shines.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:35 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
tincanary wrote:

The Finetail is both a heavier rod and slower action. On my scale, the Finetail comes in at 3.3 oz while the Glass Progressive comes in at 2.6 oz. This may be due to the Glass Progressive being 1/3 carbon while the Finetail is full glass. The Finetail does best the Glass Progressive at throwing sub 3g baits, but when it comes to bringing a bigger rainbow or brown under control, the Glass Progressive has the upper hand since it has more backbone. I think since you're fishing mostly brookies, the Finetail would probably give you a better experience than the Glass Progressive. It's those 15"+ fish where the backbone of the Glass Progressive really shines.

I have noticed that the Glass Progressive does better with mono for me when fishing smaller trout. I been liking it with bigger trout and even sneaking it on the boat for some moving baits for bluegill.

The Major Craft Finetail Glass been calling my name for quite some time.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:22 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:35 pm
tincanary wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
tincanary wrote:

I have noticed that the Glass Progressive does better with mono for me when fishing smaller trout. I been liking it with bigger trout and even sneaking it on the boat for some moving baits for bluegill.

The Major Craft Finetail Glass been calling my name for quite some time.
I really love them both but I'm usually more inclined to fish the Glass Progressive. The rivers I fish on this side of the bridge have a lot of browns and rainbows exceeding 20" and for those it fits great. Most of what I'm throwing are 4g to 6g minnows which they hit readily. I really love the Finetail with the Calcutta Conquest BFS, to me it feels almost as if the rod was made for it. It palms beautifully. With reels that sit higher like my Ambassadeurs and Millionaires I find the straight grip on the Glass Progressive to be more comfortable than the angled grip of the Finetail.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm

I know a few guys who use 22 M-Aire MG-50LC UD and say they can't get enough of it for 4-5 g sinking minnows. I use a spinning version, MG-50LS UD, and can say the same thing. UL stream fishing and glass have become synonymous to me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:02 pm

ras wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm
I know a few guys who use 22 M-Aire MG-50LC UD and say they can't get enough of it for 4-5 g sinking minnows. I use a spinning version, MG-50LS UD, and can say the same thing. UL stream fishing and glass have become synonymous to me.
UD glass is super crisp and responsive...you gotta pay to play though. I'm glad to see advancements in rod technology

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:50 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:02 pm
ras wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm
UD glass is super crisp and responsive...you gotta pay to play though. I'm glad to see advancements in rod technology
I thought new Finetail Glass rods were also made of UD glass. I was very tempted to get one when they just came out – that initial price tag paired with strong dollar was less than $100 delivered... I'm curious how this model series fares against their more expensive counterparts from boutique makers.