Please introduce trout BFS rod you have enjoyed most!

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Please introduce trout BFS rod you have enjoyed most!

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:35 am

Please introduce your favorite Trout BFS rod! You can freely choose criteria which makes a rod for your favorite!

I begin: Tsurinoya Master C472UL is my favorite BFS rod, and it is my favorite by far! I love casting distance of it - it casts very far as a 4'7" BFS rod. (About casting distance: I tried Kuying Teton 632UL, and I was struggling to cast any farer with this rod than a lot of shorter Master…And Kuying is actually not very bad.) But still Master is very comfortable and accurate also in a short casts. Master can be cast much harder without behaving indefinitely in comparison to Ares. In my opinion Master is better than Ares in everywhere with exception of lightes use (<2g lures), and have to remember that Ares is very good rod. Yes, Master is a little stiffer and faster and more backbone than Ares, but Master is still clearly a stream fishing trout BFS rod. In my opinion Master can hold up to 4 lb trouts, depending on how fast current is. But still Master is a good rod also for small trout. Short grip of Master rod can feel strange for some people. I usually put a middle finger or ring finger to trigger and then grip of rod is very comfortable. In the beginning a carbon butt section of this rod felt strange, but actually it is useful in many cast (as for aiming and stabilization) and it doesn't limit anything. 4’7” Also is a perfect length of rod for my fishing places. Casting distances are enough in pretty much everywhere for me and this is short enough in pretty much everywhere in my use.

So, please introduce your favorite Trout BFS rod!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Please introduce trout BFS rod you have enjoyed most!

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun May 29, 2022 5:17 am

Hey....this comment looks familiar :lol:

The Master is a good rod for the money.

I like the Jackson Kawasemi Rhapsody KWSM-C47L-T a bit more. The telescopic nature without affecting the action of the rod is incredible. I also find that the rod is a bit more reactive, especially with larger minnows in the 4-6gr range. Handles faster current better too.

The Master and Kawasemi Rhapsody may be in different classes of rods but, the telescopic nature and more versatility allows me to bring 1 rod to cover brook trout as well as having confidence to fish faster water for bigger fish. I would have to bring another rod with the Master.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:40 am

Thanks for Hobie for review! And for a new video of another rod (Master) :D

It's not depending on price, but price obvious is a factor for direction or other...Maybe sub $50 Lemoren Windshadow will be my next favorite when it arrives :D viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80696&start=60
Last edited by jvelth74 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:17 am
I like the Jackson Kawasemi Rhapsody KWSM-C47L-T a bit more. The telescopic nature without affecting the action of the rod is incredible.
Might Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive be new favorite to you? :D viewtopic.php?f=55&t=87922

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:58 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:17 am
I like the Jackson Kawasemi Rhapsody KWSM-C47L-T a bit more. The telescopic nature without affecting the action of the rod is incredible.
Might Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive be new favorite to you? :D viewtopic.php?f=55&t=87922
I'm not sure. I like it. It may be a little too much rod for the creek fishing Indo most times. My field testing was with braided line. I am going to try mono my next trip to see if it takes the power down a bit for the smaller fish I was after.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:53 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:58 am
I'm not sure. I like it. It may be a little too much rod for the creek fishing Indo most times. My field testing was with braided line. I am going to try mono my next trip to see if it takes the power down a bit for the smaller fish I was after.
It's definitely a lot of rod for the brookies you are chasing, but it really shines with those 12"+ browns and rainbows. I landed a 22" brown on mine a few weekends back and it handled the fish very, very nicely. Coupled with braid, leader, and barbless hooks, the progressive taper of the blank kept the fish pinned through every surge and head shake. FWIW I was running 6lb Berkley X9 and a 5lb Maxima leader and fishing a Silver Creek 44S.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:57 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:40 am
It's not depending on price, but price obvious is a factor for direction or other...Maybe sub $50 Lemoren Windshadow will be my next favorite when it arrives :D viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80696&start=60
Probably it won't be my new favorite, but good that I ordered this cheap rod. It came with 'nice' wooden box (Rod+handle would cost same as rod+handle+box). Box is handmade (machine couldn't do it :D ) It's some light wood, I don't know what. I'm not sure what I will do that box, but at least it was good package for rod. It came also with light rod bag, which is good.

Bent this rod at home and comparing it to Tsurinoya Ares and Kyuing Teton SUL. Windshadow is most soft and noodelish and less power of these. Surpricingly there still is some power left in Windsahdow. But slow it is. Action and spine of this rod resembles a rubber hose :D Windshadow is heavy as this short rod, It's 105 grams in total, but it doesn't feel too tip heavy, because handle part of it is really heavy, 85 grams. 20 Grams for ~130 cm rod blank including rings and wrapping is not too much. But loading this rod...Some says that teton SUL almost loads itself. But this Windshadow overloads itself :D Can't be long casting, but let's see...
Windshadow.jpg
Windshadow.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Reel seat luckily feels good for casting and/or palming. Reel seat feels good quality, but it is HEAVY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fished with Windshadow for a one long fishing day in a multiple different rapids and creeks.

It actually ecxeeded my expectations in many ways. But surely I didn't expect much. Most importantly it casts further than I tought. It casts something 80% of distance what I can achieve with Tsurinoya Master, which I Consider as a very good caster. But long casts are hard to reach with Winsdsahow and it's limit is vague. And crossing over limit rod behaves indefinitely and creates backlash, which I got yesterday many. This Windshadow rod also dampens (much) slower than carbon rod's. I had to dial Magforce 1 or 2 click more than I used to with carbon rod's. In my opinion it's easiest just to decide a distance limit which should not be trying to exceeded with this rod...Actually I felt that gekkaBijin spool is not the best with this slow rod. Roro AX24 might be a lot of better with this rod... Short casts are easy with this rod, but I didn't got as good as accuracy I can get with Tsurinoya Ares or Master. Maybe that would get improved when got more experience with this rod. In short special cast like spiral cast, spiral pitching & underhand pitching this slow rod felt forgiving.

Gen 2 reel seat and grip feels very good in palming or traditional casting.

Baddest thing with it is low quality rod joints. I really didn't remember what bad rod joints are because I haven't fished low quality rods for a while. Actually I dropped once rod tip part to water. And couple of times joints twisted.

I was thinking before that in case of bicycle fishing with travel rods, I will use this Windshadow almost all, and only when I need casting distanse, I will take Kuying Freestyle UL. But now I'm hoping that Freestyle will be really good caster. Then I take Winshadow only in the tightest places.

No, this Windshadow rod will not be my favorite, but it's actually not bad overall, only joints of it are bad.