Fiberglass or Carbon for BFS Trout?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!

What rod blank material do you prefer for BFS trout fishing?

Fiberglass
42%
Graphite (Tubular)
25%
Graphite (solid blank)
25%
Other
8%

Total votes: 12

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fiberglass or Carbon for BFS Trout?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat May 07, 2022 6:28 am

I use a mix of rods depending on the situation. Each have their place and overlap some depending on the angler's preference.

What rods are you using for BFS trout fishing and why?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fiberglass or Carbon for BFS Trout?

Post by Dalleinf » Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm

I listened to your youtube video on a run this morning. Very nice - thank you. I agree with you on most if not all points. I had high hopes for glass rods for my bfs trout fishing, but I need casting distance and found that glass will not replace my carbon rods that give a few feet if not yards extra. I can get enough "give" by using mono, so I only use glass rods on those rare days...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat May 07, 2022 3:23 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm
I listened to your youtube video on a run this morning. Very nice - thank you. I agree with you on most if not all points. I had high hopes for glass rods for my bfs trout fishing, but I need casting distance and found that glass will not replace my carbon rods that give a few feet if not yards extra. I can get enough "give" by using mono, so I only use glass rods on those rare days...
Good point. Sometimes faster carbon rods that have give with some force flick lures quite a distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:58 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:23 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm
Good point. Sometimes faster carbon rods that have give with some force flick lures quite a distance.
Sure it does. Tsurinoya Trout Master 4'7" (which is made high modulus carbon) casts the farest I have tried in it's class. Lastly I fished in a Creek, which is 60+ m broad. I was disappointed in the beginning that I had 4'7" rod in there and in the place where I actually thought to go, were occupied. But soon after winter shape of casting I found that I can easily cast over middle of Creek, with a 7,5 gram weighted leech. So actually I didn't need any longer rod in that place. That lure is a little over weight limit of that rod, but it was really easy to cast, because full power couldn't be used.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video of that fishing trip with this rod I like very much: