Trout Gear

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Trout Gear

Post by jprice92 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:08 pm

I’m looking into getting my first bfs setup for trout fishing in the smoky mountains, I’m considering the daiwa silver creek, new shimano aldebaran, Calcutta conquest bfs, or the steez air. Looking for feedback on these reels or other options. I’m thinking of pairing it up with a tenryu rod but also open to suggestions on rods. Will be throwing mostly single hook inline spinners due to regulations, usually throw 1/16 ounce with my spinning combo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The waters can range to small streams to mid sized rivers. Thanks for any help!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Trout Gear

Post by Dalleinf » Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 pm

I have end enjoy the Conquest, Ald22, Steez Air.
I do not own the Silver Creek.
For 1/16 oz the Conquest may not be you best choice. I would probably go with the Ald22 or even Daiwa Alphas Air Tw for most bang for your buck. The silver creek is quite expensive compared to the regular Alphas and the Gekkabijin, which I also have, and I am not sure you get that much extra for your dollars. In favor of Daiwa reels are the aftermarket spools from KTF and Roro, but I am sure that spools will come out for the Ald22 pretty soon…and it is great in stock form.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri May 06, 2022 5:31 am

The Conquest BFS is not a dedicated 1/16oz reel...at least for streams. The lighter casting requires a spool that can easily load up with whatever weight you are using.

I like the 22 Aldebaran BFS. Casts very flat and free. A little less control than the Silver Creek, especially in wind. I don't find it to be an issue though. Aldebaran is faster is speed matter that much (8.9 ratio with 29mm spool vs 8.5/28mm Silver Creek).

Silver Creek is a great reel as well. Definitely looks nicer. More controlled braking and the clicking drag sounds better (at least to me. Drag is slightly smoother too. More spool options like said above. The Roro AX24 is VERY nice in the Silver Creek.

Cost isn't too much different between them to be a major factor. Digitaka got them listed pretty close to each other.

Steez AIR is overpriced.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Fri May 06, 2022 6:28 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 pm
For 1/16 oz the Conquest may not be you best choice. I would probably go with the Ald22 or even Daiwa Alphas Air Tw for most bang for your buck. The silver creek is quite expensive compared to the regular Alphas and the Gekkabijin, which I also have, and I am not sure you get that much extra for your dollars. In favor of Daiwa reels are the aftermarket spools from KTF and Roro, but I am sure that spools will come out for the Ald22 pretty soon…and it is great in stock form.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:31 am
The Conquest BFS is not a dedicated 1/16oz reel...at least for streams. The lighter casting requires a spool that can easily load up with whatever weight you are using.

I like the 22 Aldebaran BFS. Casts very flat and free. A little less control than the Silver Creek, especially in wind. I don't find it to be an issue though. Aldebaran is faster is speed matter that much (8.9 ratio with 29mm spool vs 8.5/28mm Silver Creek).

Silver Creek is a great reel as well. Definitely looks nicer. More controlled braking and the clicking drag sounds better (at least to me. Drag is slightly smoother too. More spool options like said above. The Roro AX24 is VERY nice in the Silver Creek.

Cost isn't too much different between them to be a major factor. Digitaka got them listed pretty close to each other.

Steez AIR is overpriced.
Thanks guys, I’ve been leaning towards the silver creek mostly because I really like the look of it and the aftermarket options. What rods would y’all recommend for it? I found with my spinning gear anything under 6 foot I was losing too much distance for the wider rivers and streams and ended up with a 6 foot 7 Gloomis trout rod that worked great.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri May 06, 2022 6:39 am

jprice92 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:28 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Steez AIR is overpriced.
Thanks guys, I’ve been leaning towards the silver creek mostly because I really like the look of it and the aftermarket options. What rods would y’all recommend for it? I found with my spinning gear anything under 6 foot I was losing too much distance for the wider rivers and streams and ended up with a 6 foot 7 Gloomis trout rod that worked great.
Not sure how wide your rivers are. I usually use rods between 4'7"-5'2" for rivers/streams. There are exceptions such as steelhead or whatever but, for typical fishing, nothing really long. If you don't have to worry about shoreline brush, trees and other obstacles, you could easily do a longer rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 am

I have several rods in the 4’ to 5’5” range, which I like for those special occasions where long casts are not needed.

However, I much prefer my 6 to 8’ rods and especially those just below or around the 8’ mark. Because few rods are made in that length for light lures I have been relying on custom rods lately.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:58 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 am
I have several rods in the 4’ to 5’5” range, which I like for those special occasions where long casts are not needed.

However, I much prefer my 6 to 8’ rods and especially those just below or around the 8’ mark. Because few rods are made in that length for light lures I have been relying on custom rods lately.
What rods are you using in that range that aren’t custom? I’m having trouble finding some.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun May 08, 2022 3:27 am

Yes, you will not find many trout casting rods in the 7-8 foot range especially if you need a rod that performs with 1/16 oz lures.

I have a Major Craft N-One 782 BF, which is good, but it is better with 1/8 or 1/4 oz than 1/16 oz. I am not sure this rod is made anymore.

Tsurinoya make an Ajing rod (Elf) in 7’5”, which is very good with 1/16 oz. However, I have had two of those rods, and I really liked them until the tips broke. The rods get nice reviews on Aliexp so maybe I was unlucky.

You can find many trout rods around 6’ from Chinese and Japanese shops.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 am

...on a side note. I wish that G. Loomis, St. Croix and other US rod makers would go further into the trout casting rod and BFS market.
I have made a promise to myself not to buy any more Chinese/aliexpress rods, which I hope to keep :lol:

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Sun May 08, 2022 4:24 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 am
...on a side note. I wish that G. Loomis, St. Croix and other US rod makers would go further into the trout casting rod and BFS market.
I have made a promise to myself not to buy any more Chinese/aliexpress rods, which I hope to keep :lol:
That would be nice! I think I’ll just have to settle for a 6 foot rod for now. May go with the daiwa silver creek stream twitcher 60ul. It seems to check most the boxes.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:41 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:39 am
jprice92 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:28 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Steez AIR is overpriced.
Not sure how wide your rivers are. I usually use rods between 4'7"-5'2" for rivers/streams. There are exceptions such as steelhead or whatever but, for typical fishing, nothing really long. If you don't have to worry about shoreline brush, trees and other obstacles, you could easily do a longer rod.

What are your recommendations for a rod closer to 6 foot?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 11, 2022 9:45 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
St. Croix made a Panfish Light casting rod 5'6" but then they only put stainless steel line guides on. However now it's no longer made after like two seasons only.

I'm tempted to just put a bait casting reel onto a 6' Light spinning rod to see how that works out. :mrgreen:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 12, 2022 4:21 am

slipperybob wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:45 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
St. Croix made a Panfish Light casting rod 5'6" but then they only put stainless steel line guides on. However now it's no longer made after like two seasons only.

I'm tempted to just put a bait casting reel onto a 6' Light spinning rod to see how that works out. :mrgreen:
Save yourself the effort and just go custom. I have a 6' light power rod built on a new old-stock All Star Platinum blank(USA made). It is spiral wrapped with micros and cost me under $150 shipped from Oregon to Georgia, built by Cooks of Oregon. No-frills, utilitarian build, but it is solid and functional.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu May 12, 2022 4:23 pm

I still have both St. Croix 6' Legend Light and ML in spinning rods. Maybe I will try some backyard casting with the mash up first and see how that goes.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu May 12, 2022 4:47 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:23 pm
I still have both St. Croix 6' Legend Light and ML in spinning rods. Maybe I will try some backyard casting with the mash up first and see how that goes.
Surprisingly it worked out very well and casting was smooth with the Curado BFS. Feels a bit weird with no trigger and seems like I can't cast with my off hand. Needs some more practicing.