Types of Ester Lines: Varivas & Other Brands?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Types of Ester Lines: Varivas & Other Brands?

Post by ultralight » Mon May 02, 2022 9:55 pm

Just looking at the Varivas, there are:

Ajing Master Ester
Ajing master
Super Trout Area Master Limited
Super Trout Area ES2 Lemoni

What are the differences and how does one decide?

Also, any other brands of Ester you may recommend for performance or bang for the buck? Will be tackling trout up to 7 lbs in deep water for this line so probably 2.3 lbs test and up.

Thanks.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Types of Ester Lines: Varivas & Other Brands?

Post by slipperybob » Mon May 02, 2022 10:29 pm

I've only used YGK G-Soul SS112 the 10# rated on for ice fishing. Backyard casting I find that the line management on the spool is very impressive.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue May 03, 2022 12:25 am

Thanks Slipperybob. Looks like a great line - but it is not Ester line though.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed May 04, 2022 3:47 am

ultralight wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:55 pm
Just looking at the Varivas, there are:

Ajing Master Ester
Ajing master
Super Trout Area Master Limited
Super Trout Area ES2 Lemoni

What are the differences and how does one decide?

Also, any other brands of Ester you may recommend for performance or bang for the buck? Will be tackling trout up to 7 lbs in deep water for this line so probably 2.3 lbs test and up.

Thanks.
I have not tried all ester lines out there but have tried a ton of them. I have settled on the Ester ES 2 Lemoni. It manages better than any ester line I have tried. As too chasing trout in the 7 pound range.....I am assuming it is flat water....that would be quiet the battle. Have not forgot about sending you the broken rod...very hectic now with the panfish spawn going on.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm

A million Thanks Alphahawk,

I'll try a few spools and take your time. Hope you found your DREAM home! My wife and I toured some homes to downsize and it's not an easy task...:)

By the way, lb for lb, the Lemoni and Master Ester are thinner than the other two. I'm looking for Ester to use as sinking lines for 20+ feet deep trout.

Thanks.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed May 04, 2022 11:23 pm

If you're interested in exploring other options, I'd suggest Sunline Aji No Ito and YGK Ambercord. I use the former quite a bit. Keep in mind that manufacturers often change composition of the fiber for thicker ester lines, to make them a bit more manageable. This will affect their elongation. Comparison of Aji No Ito in 0.35 and 0.4 sizes, for example, reveals noticeable difference. YGK Ambercord offers probably the strongest ester compared to several others I've tried.
I've pulled in a 5-lbs trout at a mountain lake with Aji No Ito in 0.25 size – it was a long but memorable fight.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu May 05, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks Ras.

Did you try the Varivas Ester which Alphahawk has been using?

Thanks!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 am

ultralight wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:25 am
Thanks Slipperybob. Looks like a great line - but it is not Ester line though.
Whoops. 50% only.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri May 06, 2022 10:41 am

No probs. I did not know that even has any Ester in it....:)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Never used an Ester line. Is it stronger or weaker than fluorocarbon of the same diameter? How about knot strength and abrasion resistance? Which type of line offers better slack line sensitivity? I'd be using it for smallies up to 6lbs in open water situations.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri May 06, 2022 7:14 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:42 pm
Never used an Ester line. Is it stronger or weaker than fluorocarbon of the same diameter? How about knot strength and abrasion resistance? Which type of line offers better slack line sensitivity? I'd be using it for smallies up to 6lbs in open water situations.
I have been fishing ester a long time. While I have landed large fish with it...including Smallies in the 20 inch range...it is not the line you want for that. I do fish it regularly for Spotted bass in calm water catching a ton of 14-16 inch fish with the occasional 17-18 inch. It is far more sensitive than FC line. It has zero stretch....all ester manufactures highly recommend one use a leader with it...which I do. I catch a lot of flak from some because I keep my drag very loose when using ester. The line will pop in a heart beat if a strong fish makes a sudden run and the drag is not perfect.....a 10 inch shell cracker can easily pop 2.3# ester. Just no forgiveness at all in ester line. It is designed to catch horse mackerel....which is a very small fish. From all I have gathered one needs the most sensitive line you can have to detect the bites of those fish. Now...it is also marketed for use in area trout lakes in Japan...which hold some really big trout. I have landed some 20 inch trout in current with ester, but again...not the line you want for landing big trout in current. I used to fish Dale Hollow Lake a lot..targeting Smallies with my UL gear. I never ever take the ester line there. FC and ester are close in strength per diameter....ester is mush more sensitive on slack line. Ester can be a bear to manage....it is wiry and will spring off the spool if you're not careful. Ester I use is rated at 2.3# and most of the ester I see is 1-3 pound test. But I love the stuff for how I fish.

Regards

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:46 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:14 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:42 pm
I have been fishing ester a long time. While I have landed large fish with it...including Smallies in the 20 inch range...it is not the line you want for that. I do fish it regularly for Spotted bass in calm water catching a ton of 14-16 inch fish with the occasional 17-18 inch. It is far more sensitive than FC line. It has zero stretch....all ester manufactures highly recommend one use a leader with it...which I do. I catch a lot of flak from some because I keep my drag very loose when using ester. The line will pop in a heart beat if a strong fish makes a sudden run and the drag is not perfect.....a 10 inch shell cracker can easily pop 2.3# ester. Just no forgiveness at all in ester line. It is designed to catch horse mackerel....which is a very small fish. From all I have gathered one needs the most sensitive line you can have to detect the bites of those fish. Now...it is also marketed for use in area trout lakes in Japan...which hold some really big trout. I have landed some 20 inch trout in current with ester, but again...not the line you want for landing big trout in current. I used to fish Dale Hollow Lake a lot..targeting Smallies with my UL gear. I never ever take the ester line there. FC and ester are close in strength per diameter....ester is mush more sensitive on slack line. Ester can be a bear to manage....it is wiry and will spring off the spool if you're not careful. Ester I use is rated at 2.3# and most of the ester I see is 1-3 pound test. But I love the stuff for how I fish.

Regards
Solid info. I think I'll stick with FC haha. There must be something about it though if it's more sensitive than FC on slack line. Braid is zero stretch for the most part, and I don't find it very sensitive at all with slack line. I have to watch the line considerably more intense.